Between adrenaline and peace

Options
1sphere
1sphere Posts: 4,112 Member
edited February 2020 in Chit-Chat
Some people live a life full of activity with lots of adrenaline and brisk energy. Other people choose to live calmly and peacefully. How do you spend your time? And why have you chosen to live that way?
What if you were open to living in either of those patterns, while being aware that they contradict each other?

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I exist medicated because I switch between those two poles quite frequently and without warning, often for no reason other than my brain chemicals are messed up.

If I had a preference? Mostly peaceful (like to knit, chill, play video games) with some spurts of activity induced adrenaline (roller coasters, learning new scary things like diving, etc.).

It would be kind nice to have more control over when it happens though. :lol:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    Some people live a life full of activity with lots of adrenaline and brisk energy. Other people choose to live calmly and peacefully. How do you spend your time? And why have you chosen to live that way?
    What if you were open to living in either of those patterns, while being aware that they contradict each other?

giphy.gif

I don't think they necessarily have to contradict each other. I like to be out and active, and gunning down a mountain trail on a mountain bike is hella fun and I enjoy other activities that give that adrenaline rush...but I also like to meditate, do yoga, chill around a campfire or laze by my pool or the beach.

I'm a libra though...balance is important.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    i try to stay active as much as i can, trying different things and new hobbies and such. some end up sticking with me, others don’t. there’s gotta be more to life than waiting for saturday every week i think, so i try to compartmentalize things in such a way i have something to look forward to every day. it doesn’t always work, but still i try.

personally, and without wanting to offend anybody out there, i’m atheist. so i figure this is the one shot i got at living before its nothing but blackness forever. because of that, i really don’t want to end up being some old man in a nursing home with nothing but regrets about the things i didn’t do. there will be plenty of time for peace and quiet then you know?

That is similar to why I decided to get up and try more things in my life, I want a lot of good memories to think back on if I ever find myself in a position where I can't do them. So I climb mountains, so I can always know what it was like at the top, if I was to ever find myself physically unable to do that, and I hadn't done it, it would play on my mind. I hate deep water, can't swim it's a bit of a phobia. But on a trip to India I found myself at the Arabian sea. Something inside me said, when are you ever gona have this chance again ? So I put on a life jacket and I hated it initially but I grew in confidence and was glad I did it. I also parasailed over the sea in Crete. I wouldn't do it again! But feeling the fear and doing it anyway has helped me grow and push out my comfort zones. I guess that was me taking part in some adrenaline feuled antics when usually I would have sat back and watched instead of taking part.

i been wanting to go sky diving forever. I'm terrified of the idea of it but i figure if i did that i could do anything afterwards.

problem is, I'm told you can't do it if you ever had back surgery before. so it's out for me now.

so i think to myself how i should have done it years ago before i hurt my back. and that helps me keep in mind the other things I'd still like to do going forward at least and how i don't need to wait around on doing them either before its too late.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I like both. I love the adrenaline rush or "high" I get from running, or cycling fast (outdoors). I'm also always up for a good "adventure" - and I prefer to not plan it too much, just go with my whims when an opportunity is presented...it's a bit of a thrill.

I also love quiet evenings at home, alone, with only the sound of the furnace, or refrigerator or whatever...it's relaxing and I treasure that time.

I think I seem like a "peaceful" person, I never yell, am soft spoken and non confrontational, and for the most part I am...but I'm also a rager, and a bit of a stress-case.

I do not enjoy the adrenaline rush I get from my anxiety and panic episodes, or my "rages"...I get so hyper-aware, and just can't wait for it to go away.
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I go through phases
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Calm, peaceful, boring, routine. I like to walk a lot, but to me that's a calm and peaceful activity. The closest I get to meditation is while walking.

I had a chaotic childhood. I crave peace, it's my security.