workouts to get toned?

Hi, I’m trying to get toned but I don’t really know which workouts to do. I’ve been exercising 5 to 7 days a week, doing cardio workouts and abs/butt workouts on alternate days. I do these for 20 minutes and i definitely can see results, but i’m not satisfied. I want to look toned not bulky, I’d say my main focus is line abs. What kind of workouts should I do? I can only workout 20 minutes everyday

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I'm assuming you are female. If ab lines are your main focus then i would say work to get in the 18-20% BF range and continue doing ab exercises to build them up.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Assuming female loft heavy weights. You will not look bulky that takes testosterone or lots and lots of effort
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2020
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Assuming female loft heavy weights. You will not look bulky that takes testosterone or lots and lots of effort

Heck, considering all the males I see at my gym trying their hardest to get big and bulky and failing miserably - it's not that easy for most guys either. ;)

But yes, I fully agree. That "toned" look most women are looking for is actually the result of a significant amount of muscle that gives the basic shape and then enough body fat over that to soften the lines. Just losing weight for those abs without having enough muscle in the right spots is just going to leave her flat and shapeless.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Hi, I’m trying to get toned but I don’t really know which workouts to do. I’ve been exercising 5 to 7 days a week, doing cardio workouts and abs/butt workouts on alternate days. I do these for 20 minutes and i definitely can see results, but i’m not satisfied. I want to look toned not bulky, I’d say my main focus is line abs. What kind of workouts should I do? I can only workout 20 minutes everyday
    Trust me - it takes a lot to get bulky. I’ve been lifting heavy and hard for 2.5 yrs and I still don’t have visible abs (age and genetic distribution of fat go against me there). I’m still small and would love to be able to bulk up but I’m settling for getting as strong as possible for my sport.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Lift weights...lifting weights doesn't make you bulky...you don't just accidentally get all swole lifting weights. Bulking up is a purposeful act that requires a high volume bodybuilding program and a calorie surplus and years of training and doing bulk and cut cycles. You don't accidentally get swole. I've been lifting for over 6 years...look at my profile picture...do I look huge and bulky?
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Do strength training twice a week with heavy weights. You need the muscle. I looked at YouTube videos and men have some good tips on building muscle, which is going to get that lean look you're looking for
  • HotFrieZ
    HotFrieZ Posts: 35 Member
    While I think strength training is great, it wouldn't be my number one choice most days if I only had 20 mins a day to workout. I agree with the postwr who says maybe twice a week but I love high intensity workouts with body weight to get lean. I love all of Shaun T's workouts, including insanity, T25 (which does include some lifting) and Max insanity 30 bc they're quick but you get a little bit of everything in with those.