MY 'healthy breakfast' is 1200+ calories what the HECK???!! SHOCKED

Options

Replies

• Kimberleyb81
    Kimberleyb81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I made the avocado fail at the weekend ... peeled and prepared it thinking it would be a med/low calorie food but to my surprise was really high ! Wuite honestly i would have got more satisfaction from a chocolate bar !! 🙈
  • HCAs85
    HCAs85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    guys i need some advice for breakfast i had oats with water golden syrup a splash of milk chia seeds 1/2 avocado and 1/2 a banana pumpkin seeds and a glass of nesquick chocolate milk it says ive already had about 1200 calories , thats my daily intake WHAT THE HECK??? and i only just feel full any advice , i thought i was been healthy ??? please help me i thought i was been healthy like seriously omg !!

I am a visual eater. If I don't see a lot of food, I feel hungry.
    I found adding flax seeds to my oats helps bulk them up, and I can go up to 3 hours without feeling hungry.

I also make them on the stove rather than in the microwave - let them soak a bit first before heating.

40-45g oats
    5-10g flax seed powder (taste might get a bit of getting used to)
    Maybe a bit of low fat milk (depending on my plans for the day)
    Blueberries for sweetness (they pop and mix nicely!)
    Sometimes 1 scoop peanut butter whey if I am craving peanut butter

It really grates my carrot that restaurants advertise these "health" meals that come in at 1000+ calories.

Keep it simple :)

And as someone who was on a 1200cal diet... don't overdo it. I ruined my relationship with food, and it took me 3 years to realise it. I am slowly getting back on track.

Small steps. Progress might be slower, but it will be consistent and last longer.

You got this!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    1200 calories seem like a lot for those ingredients. I plugged a “serving” (i know that varies a lot) of the same foods in my diary and only got 700. So I think it may be the portion sizes or maybe you didn’t have as many calories as you thought you did?
    Are you measuring ?
    Good luck!🍀
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh all these items? because that seems high to me. That being said, I eat "healthy breakfast" every day and it is still around 800 calories, but my daily limit is around TWICE that of yours. You really have to watch things on just 1200 calories.

Its seems dead on for me.

Oats - 300 calories for 2 cups cooked
    Golden syrup - 240 calories in 1/4cup
    Half a banana - 55 cals
    Half an avocado - 125
    Calories in 2 tablespoons chia seeds - 260
    Calories in 8oz nesquick- 250
    Calories in 1/4 c pumpkin seeds - 70

Total = 1300 calories and that's for very reasonable portions of each (and likely smaller portions than consumed of some of it, as its VERY easy to drink 12 and hot 8oz of milk, pour an extra 1/8c of syrup, etc).

If you look at the package, though, that's 2 servings of oatmeal. 1/4 cup of syrup is really a lot especially coupled with the banana, so if you cut that syrup down to 1 Tbsp, you can get the calorie count down to 60 there. Or if you don't have an aversion to alternate sweeteners, use stevia or even a honey blend or something else to drop those calories even further. Cut back on the amount of nesquick - if you use only half that amount, you could save yourself 125 calories; same thing with cutting back on the pumpkin and chia seeds.

I wrote that out, because those are the portion sizes I used to eat before I knew what a real "portion size" looked like. I think many people do the same thing.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Sorry for the size of this photo - this poor guy on "Secret Eaters" got a similar, but even worse, wake-up call!

I love this show! It's really interesting to see what people are eating when they think they're eating healthy. So many people on that show think they're eating a healthy breakfast of cereal and it turns out they're eating 3-4 servings of cereal with full fat cream on top every morning.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    You will have so many of these moments. I remember the first time I found out how many calories are in the delicious iced buttery cookies at panera. I think a part of me died that day LOL. Learning is living! You'll get the hang of it, give yourself time. In 3 months, you'll have learned so much and be doing so well!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You say you barely feel full on that. I think you could bulk out your breakfast with some much lower calorie items. Stark with some natural low fat skyr or yoghurt. Add a big scoop of frozen or fresh raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. on top of this, sprinkle nom more than 30g of sugar-free granola or muesli. This will add up to a big bowlful but most of its bulk is very low calorie, high fibre berries. Add a big mug of black coffee or green tea, or cafetière coffee, black tea with semi skimmed milk but not lattes. That's just a few more calories but warming and filling.

At lunch, kale salad really does actually fill you up if you like it, if not, try iceberg or romaine and you can add sliced half an avocado and a few toasted nut sprinkles or similar, with lots of sliced veggies.

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the size of this photo - this poor guy on "Secret Eaters" got a similar, but even worse, wake-up call!

ai69lwykg9z7.jpg

Kinda reminds me of explaining to a loved one that their mixing bowl full of cereal was not one serving. Cereal kept disappearing as soon as I bought it. Their "one bowl" was half the dang box.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I made the avocado fail at the weekend ... peeled and prepared it thinking it would be a med/low calorie food but to my surprise was really high ! Wuite honestly i would have got more satisfaction from a chocolate bar !! 🙈

Avocados are very healthy and a good source of healthy fats...but around 90% of the calories in an avocado are coming from dietary fat, so they are calorie dense. There are typically 20-25 grams of dietary fat in a whole avocado and dietary fat is 9 calories per gram.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options

ai69lwykg9z7.jpg

Is this on Netflix, never heard of it but it looks interesting! My parents use half-and-half for milk, when I spend the night it's hard not to bring my cashew milk, a bowl of half-and-half adds up fast!
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    WOW I’ve never heard of anyone using half n half or cream on their cereal! That sounds insane! But I can relate to eating an insane amount of cereal... when pregnant with my first baby, I would measure out accurate servings but I’d always go back for a 2nd and third bowl. I don’t hardly ever eat cereal anymore.
  • bidingmytime
    bidingmytime Posts: 129 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I remember when I used to do green drinks every morning. You'd be surprised how many calories you're drinking and how little nutrition you're actually consuming (since you cut out all of the fiber/pulp). Looking back, it was such a waste of money and time, really. I could have just been eating something that I actually enjoyed, rather than spiking my blood sugar and causing myself to be hungry 1 hour later.

I see many have already suggested this, but I'll throw my vote in as well for purchasing a good kitchen food scale if you haven't done so already. Mine has been invaluable for tracking and weight loss. It will help you to plan out your breakfast better and pick and choose how much of what to put into your serving. Combine that with logging your food, and you'll start getting the hang of it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

- Snip -

Is this on Netflix, never heard of it but it looks interesting! My parents use half-and-half for milk, when I spend the night it's hard not to bring my cashew milk, a bowl of half-and-half adds up fast!

I'm afraid I don't know where it's available. I've seen a few snippets of it on the interwebs, and have seen it referenced here as well as on other discussion forums.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

- Snip -

I'm afraid I don't know where it's available. I've seen a few snippets of it on the interwebs, and have seen it referenced here as well as on other discussion forums.

It was on Channel 4 in the UK, I think you can find some full episodes on Youtube now, as it's about 8 years ago it started.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The syrup was used by you to add needed flavor to the oats. When I had oats, the needed flavor I added was cinnamon and some kind of artificial sweetener. There even exists a no-sugar syrup if you want to use it.

As you progress on this journey, you'll find that a scale is your best friend.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    And this is why my go-to breakfast is fruit and yoghurt :)

(...or, in summer, Eton Mess. Meringues are basically a miracle food. Deliciously decadent while also being surprisingly low in calories and with decent protein)