weighing chicken... before cooked or after?

Options
I've been weighing my food but sometimes I feel like the amount is different depending on if it's cooked or not. Anybody know anything about that?

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Measure meats raw and thawed because the cooking time and method will affect how much moisture you cook out. We could each take a 4oz raw breast, and I cook mine for 6 minutes and you for 8, and our resulting chicken breasts will weigh different amounts because mine will have retained more moisture and therefore be heavier.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I measure after i cook it.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I've done both at various times. If I'm tossing meat into the slow cooker I don't always remember to weigh it so I go with cooked weight.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Raw is likely to be more accurate, but if it's something pre-packaged you need to check the nutritional info carefully.

If it says 'per 100g raw' or 'per 100g as sold' and you cook it first then weigh out 100g, you've taken in more calories. It's likely that same amount would have weighed more than 100g raw and water has cooked out of it, so you're having more than you accounted for.

On the other hand if it says '100g prepared as directed' then it's telling you to weigh it cooked and it includes anything the instructions have you add (like oil or milk). This is likely less precise because as someone else pointed out, you might cook more water out than I do, but in this case weighing it raw will probably be way off.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    depends what you're logging - if you're logging raw chicken, weigh it raw and vice versa :)
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it matters that much. If the package says its 4oz and after cooking it's 3.5 oz I don't think it's going to make a huge difference. Do I feel full? Yes, will that extra 30-40 calories I put in the food diary make a big difference in my overall health and weight loss? No, don't stress the little stuff.