Having trouble getting enough protein?

I'm 5'1, not massively overweight or anything, just have another 10 pounds or so to lose, but i'm more judging by how my clothes fit and feel etc, so i'm trying to lose body fat.. On a 1500 diet and training 5 days a week, 3 days strength training and 3 days cardio..

I've read a lot of articles about getting enough protein, in particular for smaller ladies like myself as weight training is seemingly the best way to lose the last few pounds of fat! I have a very very clean diet, but I'm having trouble meeting my daily protein target?

I'm trying to get lean sources of protein rich foods in to each of my meals and have been avoiding buying whey protein for shakes etc, as in the long run they cost a fortune!!

If anyone has any tips it would be much appreciate!

Replies

• I can generally pack in about 115g of protein on just lean meats like chicken, turkey, & fish while still staying around 1300 - 1500 calories. On days I use protein shakes I avg between 160 - 200g. Try Kashi protein cereal and egg whites for breakfast, 4-5oz of chicken for lunch, and 4-5oz of a non fatty fish or some extra lean 99/1 turkey meat. Also a cup of milk has 8-9g of protein. Check out whole wheat flat bread or wraps. They have like 8g of protein also. Very many ways you can achieve your protein goals w/out making shakes.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    I like Fiber One/Kashi type granola bars, but the protein isn't the best so the last time I was away shopping I picked up a box of Life Choice Protein bars in the peanut butter flavor. These particular ones have 21 grams of protein for ....210 ish calories I believe. It's enough like a candy bar I get my sweet fix + the extra protein. The peanut butter ones are also tasty. The chocolate mint....eh. They're edible. I think they were around $3.50 for a box of 6 which is less than I pay for the Kashi chewy granola bars.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Are you married? Have a boyfriend? He will provide you with protein.

If not, a protein shake is good after a workout.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Egg whites. Like it. Love it. Use it in a sentence. Learn to be their friend.

Other than that, what others said. Lean meats, beans, and yes, protein powder. You can do it without, but sometimes it's just easier. There are some fairly inexpensive brands that still have great quality, you can do a search on here for past posts with reviews.