Should I be scared of the women's locker rooms?

Options
taylornonnac
taylornonnac Posts: 2
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi! I just joined a gym a few days ago, and plan to work out avidly to get back in shape and to feel better about myself.
However, I have never previously been a member of a gym, so the whole experience is new to me. Probably what terrifies me most are the locker rooms... I have read so many horror stories!
Basically I want to be able to use the locker room to rinse off quickly after working out, blow dry my hair (my gym provides blow dryers), quickly apply makeup (takes about 2 minutes for me), and of course change clothes. I know that you are not supposed to linger too long in front of the mirror or really anywhere else that seems to be busy, so of course I know that it is not necessary to do a full beauty routine if the area seems busy, but I would like to if I get the chance.

Should I be this freaked out? Are the locker room really that bad? My gym is in a fairly small city, so there are not that many people frequenting it in the first place so I can't imagine what could really happen.

Are the showers really gross? I have a bit of an issue with showers/bathrooms being super clean, so I honestly don't even want to bother trying to clean myself in a dirty shower.

What are some general tips/guidelines that I should follow?

Also I am not comfortable at ALL being naked in front of other people that I don't even know, so how should I work the towel after the shower issue? Like where do I put it while I'm showering? Also do I go back in the shower stall after I have fetched my clothes to put them on, or is there somewhere else to go?

I know these are kind of ridiculous questions, but I just really like to be informed before I get myself into something!

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with any of my gyms, as far as the locker rooms go. The showers are always clean (the 'womens' gym had hair straighteners and hairdryers too). There's usually space in the shower stall to put your clothes so you can get dressed in private.

Hope this helps :)
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Hi, When I was younger I was super shy and wouldn't shower in a locker room even if it meant getting a big fat F in PE class. As I have gotten older, I have gotten less freaked out. I won't shower in a shower if it doesn't at least have a curtain but I am not so shy that I totally hide out either.
    I am at the Y and have been to a couple other gyms over the years. Most have a place to hang your towel and most have a place to dress in privacy if desired. They have quite a few spots where someone could do their makeup and hair.

For the most part the showers have been pretty clean. I enjoy my shower time at the Y much more compared to home. I like the luxuary of having privacy away from my son.

I used to be really uncomfortable dressing around others especially if they were really skinny. I rent my own locker and for the most part I tend to have the whole isle to myself. Good luck. I am sure you will figure it out.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are BRAND NEW HERE, and 18yo. Well, let us know how it goes, probably won't be much different than your highschool gym experience, and maybe better, huh?:ohwell:
  • erbell3
    erbell3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Be sure and wear flip flops, even in the shower. Women's locker rooms aren't usually bad, but you still have to take precautions to avoid athletes foot and plantars warts. Just remember that no one is super comfortable in that setting, so usually everyone just hurries and doesn't make eye contact lol. And I'm a mom, so again, wear flip flops :)
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I can understand a lot of your nervousness. I think much of it will blow off once you work out a routine and get settled.

If you can, rent a locker. It is so helpful to have a place to consistently store things and always return to. I don't know what your showers are like, but the showers here at the little gym I go to during the school year is communal, but there are towel racks rigt next to the entrance. That took some time for me to adjust to, as I am a fat mama of three in my thirties and most of the other women there are college girls in at least two sports who fit into one leg of my jeans. I decided I paid just as much as the others for that locker room, and I am going to use it all!

One thing to understand is that most of the women in the locker room aren't even going to notice you. They are busy being wrapped up in their own lives. You are background noise in their routine.

Good luck, and enjoy it!
  • jewel22887
    Options
    I suggest just like in gym class taking flips or shower shoes. My gym showers are clean though I rarely use them as I go to the gym and then home after work. Basically try to be a decent human being and it's not a big deal. I am lucky that I go to the gym during non peak hours so rarely more than 4 people in the locker room.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Honestly I've never had a problem. The only suggestion I have is to get a cheap pair of flip flops to wear to the shower, as sometime there are issues with the floors. Even the cleanest gym can't mop ever 10 min
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Go for a tour of the gym before you join it and check out the cleanliness of the locker room. Most are not too bad but some are better than others and if this is important to you then have a look before joining.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I am. You won't believe how they yell at you. :tongue:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just join a gym that has private shower stalls where you go in and there are essentially 2 little rooms where you shower and then dress after.

No one cares if you are naked or getting changed. It will seem strange at first, but if you notice, the women don't really care about anyone else in there, they have their own routine they are thinking about. After a bit it is no more awkward than washing your hands in a public restroom.

I guess I'm unusual in that I don't really care about what other people think of my body. I used to work in a bridal shop and I saw every style of body and it just doesn't phase me to get dressed in front of others.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    it's not scary at all :o don't worry about it too much :) you'll get used to it quick
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am. You won't believe how they yell at you. :tongue:

Same here. Yelling is one thing, but calling me a creep and pervert every time I walk in... that's uncalled for.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I go home and shower.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are BRAND NEW HERE, and 18yo. Well, let us know how it goes, probably won't be much different than your highschool gym experience, and maybe better, huh?:ohwell:

It's a thousand times better than your school gym experience. :flowerforyou:
    P.S. Bring flip flops for the shower. You don't need to be walking around in all that foot fungus. :sick:
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm only a 10-15 minute walk from my gym. I go home and shower, it means I don't have to carry a gym bag.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Oh to be 18 again and worried about things like this... Shower shoes are a must, but also being comfortable with your body is must - absolutely no one cares if you are dressing, showering or putting on makeup. If you are uncomfortable, just don't engage anyone or look anyone in the eye. Get your business done and go on with your day. Really, you don't need to worry :-)
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Just bring flip flops to wear in the shower and you'll be fine :) Sometimes you'll see a LOT more of other women than you wanted to, but it's usually the nice old ladies with locker room modesty standards from a different era haha. When I was going to the gym a lot in my hometown I usually just kept to myself. Polite smiles and nods with "I don't have time to talk" body language & people will usually leave you be.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing to think about is that everyone else there is doing the same stuff you are. Theyre there to work out, fix themselves up and go home/work/back to life.

I wouldnt sweat it. I hated the locker rooms back in school because it was all forced on you. Here, its just you and a few other people doing this at their leisure.

If its anything like my gym (its a 24 hour fitness in the middle of a rather busy neighborhood) the locker room is hardly ever full.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I actually choose to use the "family" locker room for this reason. They have 3 locker rooms at my YMCA--men's, women's and family. When you step into the family locker room you see lockers on either side of the wall....and 8-10 doors. Each door leads to a private room with toilet, shower stall, sink and small changing area. This way families can make sure their kids of all ages are safe, the lady with the husband in the wheelchair can go in and help him change, etc.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Nooo you shouldn't be scared! The one I go to is really clean and tidy; it should be adequate :)
This discussion has been closed.