shower after exercise

Options
After I exercise I take my shower (I'm a stay at home mom) and wash my hair etc...I smell a rather pungent ammonia smell from my shampoo. I never smell this if I take a normal shower at night on the days I don't exercise.
It's so bad that I just about can't breathe, gag and sometimes throw up. I had to leave the shower door open to let a draft in to exchange the air.

Has anyone experienced this? am I the only one?

Why would this have to do with exercising?

(I use Pantene shampoo)

Replies

• MakeLifeBright
    Options
    After I exercise I take my shower (I'm a stay at home mom) and wash my hair etc...I smell a rather pungent ammonia smell from my shampoo. I never smell this if I take a normal shower at night on the days I don't exercise.
    It's so bad that I just about can't breathe, gag and sometimes throw up. I had to leave the shower door open to let a draft in to exchange the air.

Has anyone experienced this? am I the only one?

Why would this have to do with exercising?

(I use Pantene shampoo)

Have not ever heard this before. That does not happen to me, but maybe when you exercise
    you are getting rid of toxins from your body? So your shampoo reacts to them??

I have no idea, just a guess
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    here's a good article....

http://www.optimumhealthreport.com/articles/smell-ammonia-when-you-sweat.asp

excerpt
    When the protein is used as energy then the nitrogen must then be removed and gotten rid of as a waste product. It leaves the body in the form of ammonia (NH3) or urea. When there is excess ammonia in the body it can begin to come out through the skin or breath and cause one to smell like "ammonia."

This can occur for a number of different reasons:

1. Severe liver or kidney disease where the ammonia cannot be gotten rid of as fast as it is made.
    2. Eating large quantities of low quality protein like whey and soy where most of the amino acids are converted to energy and a lot of excess nitrogen is created.
    3. There are certain bacteria which can also break the nitrogen off of the amino acids in the diet and cause excess nitrogen to be around. This includes helicobacter pylori. This bacteria is a common cause of stomach ulcers and should be looked for using a blood test when gastric symptoms such as belching, burping, acid stomach, burning pain, or sour taste are present.
  • amjenti
    amjenti Posts: 12
    Options
    here's a good article....

http://www.optimumhealthreport.com/articles/smell-ammonia-when-you-sweat.asp

excerpt
    When the protein is used as energy then the nitrogen must then be removed and gotten rid of as a waste product. It leaves the body in the form of ammonia (NH3) or urea. When there is excess ammonia in the body it can begin to come out through the skin or breath and cause one to smell like "ammonia."

This can occur for a number of different reasons:

1. Severe liver or kidney disease where the ammonia cannot be gotten rid of as fast as it is made.
    2. Eating large quantities of low quality protein like whey and soy where most of the amino acids are converted to energy and a lot of excess nitrogen is created.
    3. There are certain bacteria which can also break the nitrogen off of the amino acids in the diet and cause excess nitrogen to be around. This includes helicobacter pylori. This bacteria is a common cause of stomach ulcers and should be looked for using a blood test when gastric symptoms such as belching, burping, acid stomach, burning pain, or sour taste are present.

geez that's scarey! But it's only when I'm in the shower. :huh:
    I suppose I'll google more...

Thanks
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If you had never had the issue before, most likely it's just from the protein issue they were talking about in #2. I would assume, if you had #1 or #3 you'd have multiple other symptoms and smell the ammonia every time you took a shower, not just after a work out. But I'm not a doc, so I can't be certain on that.
  • LeMarkie89
    Options
    I recommend going to your doctor about it.

I had some weird problems a while back and I googled them and it got me scared because it came up with all these wild scenarios. I went to my doctor and it turned out to be nothing. -.-
    So rather than work yourself up in a frenzy, just go to your doctor tell them whats been happening.
  • amjenti
    amjenti Posts: 12
    Options
    yeah, I'm a little freaked out. I'm getting conflicting information when I google.
    So it's actually not my shampoo, but me! :noway:

I will definitely make a doc appt to make sure all is well.

Thanks everyone.:ohwell: