My carpet is ruining my workouts and causing injury

Options
Ok so here's the deal...

We just moved a few months ago. Before hand I had a large hardwood floor and did lots of cardio dance things like zumba, hip hop abs, and rockin' body. I also did Jillian Micheals body revolution...none of these ever posing a problem.

The issue now is that I have carpet and it's really hard to pivot, get good traction and I keep catching my shoe tread.It is really hard to get used to this and move past it..I feel clumsy and uncertain. I have even sprained my foot, and now i'm really leery of this carpet. I am gaining weight back that I worked so hard, for so long to achieve. Its SO FRUSTRATING. I hate to let 70 lbs of work go out the window.

My question is this: Is there any type of matting that wont slip and move on carpet, even if your doing some thing like suicides? Im looking for something that I can put away when im done...anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have you tried working out barefoot? Between the carpet and padding underneath, you won't hurt your feet, and traction should be enough to not slip around, yet still easy to pivot.

If you're not comfortable with that, you could look into dance shoes. They typically have smooth soles that are not rubber, so there's less sticking. They might be too slippery though, depending on the carpet.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Or get one of those clear mats they put under rolling chairs in offices. It's portable & skinny enough to slide behind an armoire or dresser. I've also used race track leftover from a garage makeover. It's like the foam puzzle pieces, but is rigid.
  • GreyFowl
    Options
    Just a thought! Walmart carries these roll-away workout mats (kind of like a wide, thick yoga mat) and puzzle-piece type temporary workout flooring. I think they are Gold's Gym brand, and I bet they would be perfect for you.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Take your shoes off.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Take your shoes off.

this!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Just a thought! Walmart carries these roll-away workout mats (kind of like a wide, thick yoga mat) and puzzle-piece type temporary workout flooring. I think they are Gold's Gym brand, and I bet they would be perfect for you.

Those puzzle ones are crap. I have some & they move cause they have no grip. End up spending more time putting it back into place than working out on it,
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Variety burns hmm
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    BwelgaC.gif
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Buy some weights and ditch the dvds.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Buy some weights and ditch the dvds.
    yup - agree....
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Try it barefoot!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I workout barefoot when I do workout videos. I have carpet and have never had an issue.
  • brey1986
    brey1986 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Im scared to try it barefoot....but now that I think about it...how many times have we all danced to songs on the radio at home, shoeless? maybe it wont be so bad....worth a shot. As far as the puzzle piece stuff...I am scared the teeth would keep popping up and that would just piss me off. It might find its self in my yard momentarily at that point. haha. The dance shoes are also a good suggestion, I never though of that!
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere to put cut pantyhose and put the foot part of over your running shoe for doing zumba on carpeting. I haven't tried it though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Im scared to try it barefoot....but now that I think about it...how many times have we all danced to songs on the radio at home, shoeless? maybe it wont be so bad....worth a shot. As far as the puzzle piece stuff...I am scared the teeth would keep popping up and that would just piss me off. It might find its self in my yard momentarily at that point. haha. The dance shoes are also a good suggestion, I never though of that!

Well then just don't work out anymore. I don't know what you want. We're telling you we've done these things and they work.

Dance shoes are very slippery. I wouldn't wear them to jump around on carpet. They're meant for very specific movements on wood floors.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    BwelgaC.gif

lol

Simon always says it best... without saying anything at all
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you've already hurt your foot, barefoot might not be the best way to go. I switched to doing the DVDs barefoot in February and ended up with a stress fracture in my foot. I'm still not 100% and have to watch what shoes I wear and how I work out.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem with the zumba workouts. i put a pair of old thin socks over my shoes- it gives you just enough slip so your shoes dont catch on the carpet. go with the trouser sock kind though- athletic socks have a little too much friction and you really just need to be able to slip them over the front half of your shoe.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Does it match your curtains...?
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I used to just workout in my socks on my carpet. But I recently bought a yoga mat and I workout barefoot on that. I prefer it SO MUCH more. The yoga mat was only $10-$15. You'll just have to try some of these suggestions and see what works best for you.