Heartbreak also led to 14 lb loss

I lost 14lbs in less than a month when my heart got broken and my life turned upside down. I joke that at least I’ll look good. But truth is I want to continue but lack motivation. My emotions get in the way of me running with this. I could use some tips and or your experience on how to take this heartache and turn it into something wonderful for myself. I am new to this app but not new to exercise but not good at healthy eating.

Replies

• fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Sorry to hear about your heartbreak...I'm an emotional eater, so I would most likely gain weight after a heart break. I would encourage you to continue to focus on eating healthy and move forward. You will find another love some day and you will be ready!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Get social, talk with friends, family. Stay active with whatever it is you like to do, even if you feel like all you're doing is 'fake it till you make it'. If you have extra time in your life, find a cause you care deeply about and volunteer some time towards it. Thinking about others usually helps take the focus off ourselves. Time will soften those sharp corners off your life once again. And if you feel the need, please don't think therapy is something to avoid. We all go through break-ups and loss but it's how we handle them that's different for each of us. Sometimes we need a helping hand, or two.
    You have your whole life ahead of you.
    There will be lots of opportunities to meet the right person. Don't lose out by looking back. This is probably all still feeling fresh and hurtful. You will turn this around and find your best you yet, then be ready for adventure and love once again.
    Wishing you the very best of luck and good health!! Read the posts on this forum; lots of wisdom and experience as far as how to eat healthy.
    And if you're okay in the exercise department, get right back to it, even if your brain is telling you to hunker under the covers and eat ice cream. With food, start with basic lean protein, vegs., fruit, whole grains, lean dairy, and learn from there. Did you plug in your statistics so you can start logging calories/exercise and have those types of goals?
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Sorry about your breakup.Been there w the breakup WL..Just try to focus on you and being around friends and family.Distractions help..stay social.
    As far as eating,I would try meal prepping..I usually make meals for 2-4 days at a time,then add on every few days..I save 2 days out of the week to eat out,or hang w friends..hugs to ya!
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Sorry to hear, heart breaks are never good. That being said, exercise is a great way to stay positive I find. I'm always in a better mood when I'm running.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Everyone else had great advice, especially about diet. I'm going to underscore the part about exercise making you feel better. It can be really soothing and help you heal your heart. If you find the right kind of thing, something you really enjoy, exercise can enrich your life so much. You don't just have to run, or walk, or work the elliptical, though those can be good. You could also take out your frustrations on the heavy bag, slam imaginary heads into the ground with the medicine ball, wrestle with an exercise rope, breathe deeply and sooth yourself with tai chi or yoga, or feel immensely powerful with a barbell and a bunch of plates. Once you find that thing you like doing, exercise becomes something you do for yourself, it's "me time," and health is a nice side bonus.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Gods protection, getting rid of him. Move on and enjoy life, you are lucky you lost weight and didnt gain. Keep eating healthy with occasional treats.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Much good advice here.

Better days are ahead for you.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Watch the movie, Heartbreak Ridge. Seriously. Whether you like it or loathe it, it will take your mind off your trouble. At least for 2:10.

Then decide. Are you going to pine away in self pity or start climbing out of that pit of sorrow? Either sit in the pit or get moving towards some sort of goal.

Not saying that a break-up is easy to handle, or a good cry doesn't help, just that your future is in your hands - not in anyone else's.

Planning your meals will also help get your mind off the hurt. Forcing yourself to stick to the plan will also help.

Good luck.
  • mk820820
    mk820820 Posts: 49 Member
    She is living your life with a cheater. What was done to you will probably happen to her as well, but she will have a child to raise on her own.
  • mhassan160
    mhassan160 Posts: 312 Member
    canuca2000 wrote: »
    I lost 14lbs in less than a month when my heart got broken and my life turned upside down. I joke that at least I’ll look good. But truth is I want to continue but lack motivation. My emotions get in the way of me running with this. I could use some tips and or your experience on how to take this heartache and turn it into something wonderful for myself. I am new to this app but not new to exercise but not good at healthy eating.

Rule number one is love yourself! So work in your mind and body and health and then your heart will heal, always remember life is short don’t waste into tears or sadness.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!