HIIT workout?

Is this type of work out good for someone that wants to go from being a walker to a runner? I also want a good cardio workout to help me slim down quicker than just walking on a high incline on the treadmill.

Newbie ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    The best way to go from walking to running is to run. The easiest and funnest way to do this is to incorporate bursts of running into your regular walking routine. Some people like to use a structured program, like Couch to 5k (you can look online or there are many C25k apps out there). Other people just turn up the treadmill, run for a bit (like even 30 seconds at first), turn the treadmill back down to recover, and then run a little bit again. Over time, you reduce the amount of time you spend walking. This is also fun to do outside (when I was starting out, I would pick a mailbox or stop sign, run to it, and then walk for a bit).

No exercise, on its own, is going to make you "slim down quicker." Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. Exercise is just a small part of that. We've also got all our regular everyday activity and (really important) what we're eating. Slimming down quicker isn't necessarily what is safest or sustainable. It's also hard to progress towards your fitness goals when you're losing a lot of weight quickly.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I'm not trying to be smart when I say this, but walk/run wouldn't be true HIIT (because real HIIT will be limited by your ability to physically run for a long while as a newbie), but it would be a great and reasonable starting point.

There have been many threads on HIIT on here in the past. I'd look at a few of those for a clearer idea of what HIIT really is and isn't. It's a very loose term any more that's being thrown out for anything that raises your HR. That's not accurate. Getting up off the couch raises your HR, but it's not HIIT. When I think of HIIT, it's getting up to 80% or more of Max HR, something that a newbie shouldn't do. I didn't attempt real HIIT until I had many years of cardio under my belt. It's not pleasant and it doesn't burn more calories. There has been some science that says it's helpful to protect telomeres, the protective covering of your DNA, which stave off aging. So it has some usefullness, but you want to just be able to run, HIIT is much later in the progression of endurance.
  • MattHilburn
    MattHilburn Posts: 17 Member
    Sounds like your in need of a starting point with working out. There are many good free at home workout apps that would be a good introduction to working out. They do not require any special equipment just body weight workouts. 8fit is one app. Like I said this would be a starting point many would not consider these true HIIT workouts but would get you a base to work your way to a true HIIT style workout
  • benwalker86
    benwalker86 Posts: 4 Member
    Hey Madison! Sounds like you want to take it up a notch! Great work.

HIIT workouts involve a lot of combined movements, heavy on the legs. A lot of jumping involved.

If you looking to get into more active workouts, maybe consider other drills like sleds (light at first) or perhaps battle ropes if you're looking to do something more dynamic? Before taking part in these routines i would start conditioning your legs gradually if you haven't been taking part in a resistance program. But i agree with the comment before if looking to do a more advanced running program. Good luck!!!