Healthy/semi-healthy Starbucks drinks?

Options
Hey there! New member to MFP here. I often find myself at coffee shops with a book to unwind. What are your favorite, barista-crafted coffee drinks that are a little more on the lighter side?

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I don't like coffee, so I drink hot tea or chai latte.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Besides just black coffee obviously...Anything with skim/low-fat milk instead of cream, like a skim latte. They have sugar-free sweeteners if you need.

If you like tea, that’s also a good no-or-low calorie coffee shop option.
  • PrimaryAdjunctOfUnimatrix1010
    Options
    I don't drink tea very often, but the occasional chai latte is nice. I'm a hardcore coffee fiend.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When at a Starbucks, I'll typically get an Americano. A grande is 15 calories.
    Options
    I'll have to try skinny lattes and Americanos, soon. Thanks!
    Options
    The bitter, black nectar of the Gods is my social lubricant. My habit of venti mochas and frappucinos must change, and nothing beats the calorie count of plain, black coffee.
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Well... water might. I heard Starbucks goes to some lengths filtering their water. One barista in an article I read somewhere referred to Starbucks water as "Siren's Tears."
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Starbucks used to have more skinny offerings. They got rid of some of the sugar free syrups, and I can't believe they dont have dry creamer available as a lower calorie alternative to the half and half, which I'm always afraid has been out too long. It would seem they'd observe a sensitivity to their lactose-intolerant or vegan patrons. I always have regular coffee or a latte with skim milk, sometimes.
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Obviously, I missed the boat while ordering my go-to 568,403,236-calorie mocha frappucinos at the Bucks of Star. I'll have to survey my favorite local cafés for their ready supply of soy milk, coconut, and/or almond milk. Could be fun to experiment with.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try skinny lattes and Americanos, soon. Thanks!

Those are my go-tos. Also nitro coffee at some coffee shops is a nice change of pace. My husband's a big fan of it, I think it tastes a bit similar to craft beer in some aspects.
    Options
    Beer-style coffee... now that's something I could really get in to. B)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    I was a white mocha or frappuccino person. I switched to cold brew with vanilla sweet cream at Starbucks then cut it to light vanilla sweet cream. Loved pumpkin cream in fall!
    Options
    That sounds pretty amazing! I think it's now time to start a list on a piece of paper that I can wrap my Starbucks card in.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    The refreshers Aren't the worst if you don't drink coffee
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Healthy is relative....everything in moderation right?

I love the dragon fruit refresher, “purple drink”, teas, matcha soy frappe, vanilla soy latte.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I was a white mocha or frappuccino person. I switched to cold brew with vanilla sweet cream at Starbucks then cut it to light vanilla sweet cream. Loved pumpkin cream in fall!

Ordered like, "sugar-free vanilla cold brew?"

Pumpkin spice lattes are good, but I'm all about eggnog lattes in the winter. I think they sprinkle crack cocaine on them.

Nope, I get the one with sugar. I ask for a venti cold brew with light vanilla sweet cream. I started making my own cold brew at home and it's smooth enough I don't need cream but I at least put stevia, Splenda, sugar-free syrup, or recently started adding a protein shake for breakfast.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Every so often I order their caramel latte (not sure of their branded name for it) but I request it "half sweet" with either coconut or almond milk. No whipped stuff on top and no swirls of caramel or whatever other weirdness they try adding to it.

For the record, Starbucks needs UNSWEETENED dairy milk substitutes for their behind-the-counter barista beverages as well as on the counter for regular brew drinkers. "Regular people" aren't going to notice, it's the same price to Starbucks (in terms of what they're using now) and it's so much healthier.

The above is the reason I usually only order a short double espresso from them.