Does this sound ok? Any other ideas?

Options
So just starting out with exercise. I keep throwing my back out/goes into spasm so I need to do something long term to sort it!!

Swimming and/or Aquafit (on different evenings)
Pilates at home to help strengthen core (hopefully that will help me use more than just my back muscles!)
Gym 3-4 times a week doing a little cardio and weight machines)
20 minute, low impact HIIT routine at home
Eating sensibly

Will this help me lose weight and try and relieve the stress I put on by back?

Any other ideas welcome :)

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor made any suggestions? I would say the biggest thing is to protect and strengthen your core. You might want to do Pilates or Yoga in a studio with an instructor who can help you with adjustments rather than at home. Even doing just a few sessions in a studio to learn better form would be a good idea. I would hold off on the weights until after doing a few weeks of swimming and pilates or yoga.

BTW - HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. I have no idea what low impact HIIT would even be but I'm guessing it's something you may want to ease into.
  • thirdtimeluckymfp
    Options
    I mean low impact on my back - sorry I wasn’t very clear 🙂 I can’t run or anything at the moment as that sends pressure up my back but other bits I can do like squats etc

I’m being very careful with weights - mostly arms and legs to build strength x
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    In your circumstances, I'd avoid any of the many diverse things usually referred to as HIIT. Usually, it involves moving very rapidly, and pushing for maximum intensity. Speed makes it difficult to focus on good form, and pushing intensity increases odds of fatigue-induced sloppiness of technique. Either of those increase injury risk.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    For back problems, my chiropractor, doctor, and PT all push posture, posture, posture. Pay attention to what you're doing with your body when you're at rest or working on things that cause intense concentration. My desk posture is terrible without a couple of ergonomic aids, and I've had to alter my sleeping position to deal with shoulder and neck problems. Making improvements to what I do when I'm not paying attention to my body has reduced a lot of pain enough that I can work on strengthening the problem areas with PT exercises and stretching.

And I *highly* recommend seeing a chiropractor, doctor, and/or physical therapist to help you troubleshoot your daily life for positional issues, repetitive motions, or physical quirks that are exacerbating your back problems. <3

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Weight loss itself can help relieve the pressure on your back, are you looking at your food intake as well as the exercise? Primarily that's how you tackle weight loss.

Exercise is good for improving flexibility and posture which can also help. When I had my own back issues I focused on Yoga, Low Impact Cardio and Weight Lifting.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out, do only 3x week for the first month. You need time to acclimate and to see how your body responds.