Sugar? Or "Added" Sugar?

Options
I go over in MFPs sugar allotment frequently but it is bc I'm eating fruit. Should I be careful about natural sugar or just added sugar? I don't like MFP scolding me about being over!

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I also removed sugar from my tracked items. I track fiber and trans fats.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Same, except for me it's fiber and iron.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    I go over in MFPs sugar allotment frequently but it is bc I'm eating fruit. Should I be careful about natural sugar or just added sugar? I don't like MFP scolding me about being over!

I have the same issue because I eat bananas every day. It annoys me but I ignore it. I don't give a crap much about fat either to be honest. Carbs I like to keep generally low but do NOT go crazy worrying over that either.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    The MFP goal is all sugar, because until recently package information was all sugar. Like some other MFP recommendations, it's not really based on anything nutritional -- basically there are recommendations to keep added sugar to below 10% of cals (even 5%, ideally), and MFP set the goal for all sugar at 15% based on a pretty low (IMO) assumption about how much sugar people would get from fruit, veg, and dairy. Personally, I don't eat much added sugar, but if I can go over the MFP goal based mainly on veg and some fruit, I usually consider it a good day.

Things I'd consider re sugar from nutrient-dense but higher sugar sources like fruit: don't eat so much that your diet is imbalanced and you are too low in protein or healthy fats. Other than that (which is served by looking at my protein and what fats I include in my diet), I ignore sugar (except for occasionally looking at it just for fun). If you are going to track a subset of carbs, I'd consider fiber much more important and switch it with either sodium or sugar.

I'd also try to stop worrying about MFP's perceived scolding -- many goals are minimums, so being in the red shouldn't be bothersome, and I understand the notifications (you ate something high fat!) are often silly and not based on reasonable nutritional considerations anyway.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    sdavis484 wrote: »

MFP just has a default for sugar as a % of your total calorie target. If it's not crowding out other nutrition and you don't have a medical reason to worry about it, it's not really an issue. That said, I would have to be eating quite a bit of fruit to go over sugar targets. As it is, I eat a lot more veg than fruit.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    (I disagreed, Nony!) ;-)
  • aayudinova
    aayudinova Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion on sugar. Your body doesn't distinguish between the different sugars you eat as it breaks down into base components in a sense that if that sugar isn't utilized toward energy expenditure, it will be stored. Too much of any sugar is still just too much. The benefit of eating fruit rather than processed sugar foods, however, is that you get vitamins and fiber too. Fiber helps slow down the absorption of sugar, preventing a blood sugar spike and crash. Another important point to be made here is there is no harm in having say a fruit at every meal, especially before exercise, where that sugar will go toward helping you maintain your energy throughout your workout (assuming you are performing anaerobic exercises and utilizing sugar/glycogen as an energy source vs. fat).
  • sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Well this brings me to another question, maybe should make a new post but......I go over my fat% everyday. My fat allocation has already been manually changed to be higher than what MFP gives me. Is this bad?! I'm staying within calories, just eating spoonfuls of lard. Jk