Low Calorie, Fueling Snacks for a Sensitive Gut

Options
mytyglotz
mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
Hello, Pals!!

I will be beginning a new job next week, and the hours I work are right around the time I usually eat. I have unintentionally practiced intermittent fasting for over a year now, and I like this way of eating and wish to make it work as my routine changes with this new job. That means I will not be taking a lunch break, but eating when I get home instead.

I am looking for some simple snack ideas that are low in calories yet satiating that I can have on hand with me at work in case I feel like I need a boost. I need options that will not put too much of a dent in my daily calorie allowance (as I plan to eat my large meal when I get home).

I know this seems kind of restrictive, but the reality is that I have several food sensitivities that I need to be mindful about. I am sorry for the following long-winded list, but I feel it's important to mention the foods I do not include in my diet because a lot of common snack items include those foods -- so I am struggling to think of low-calorie alternatives!!
My Food Sensitivities:
  • dairy (except for greek yogurt and cottage cheese in small portions)
  • nuts and seeds (except for the daily 2 tablespoons of seeds I have recently incorporated into my diet as I am experimenting with "seed cycling" - something I am debating posting about in another forum, because I have many questions about that!!)
  • soy
  • legumes, beans (except for occasional lupini beans, again in small portions)
  • grains (wheat, corn, rice, oats - all grains and flours)
  • oils - unless it is a scant amount from the spray-oils

So far, the only ideas I can think of are a small container of greek yogurt (not past 120 calories), bone broth, a meat bar (like the ones by Epic or Chomps), or a fruit like an apple, or vegetables like celery and carrots - but I thought it might be wiser to focus on something with protein and maybe only a bit of healthy fats, as that might be more satiating and energizing. (I also would appreciate your thoughts on that - what kinds of snacks have more "bang for the calorie".) I just want to make sure that if I do reach for a snack, it's not going to call for much caloric adjustment to my meal.

Again, I am so sorry to type so much. I have been struggling with organizing this post - trying to be as concise as possible while including the details I think are important.

Thank you all so much for your time and support. I have said it before, but I must say it again: This community is a blessing to me.

Replies

• funicello
    funicello Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Veggies with guacamole or salsa, or a nut butter if you can have that.
    Fruit can be dipped in yogurt or nut butter,
    applesauce,
    dried fruit,
    jerky,
    tuna mixed w/ non-dairy mayo and relish,
    • hardboiled eggs
    • Deli meat wrapped around pickles or non-dairy cheese stick

You could try non-dairy yogurts and string cheeses. There are some made of coconut milk that are also soy-free.
  • funicello
    funicello Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    • Veggies w/ guacamole or salsa, or a nut butter if you can have that
    • Fruit can be dipped in yogurt or nut butter
    • Applesauce
    • Dried fruit
    • Jerky
    • Tuna mixed w/ non-dairy mayo and relish
    • Hardboiled eggs
    • Deli meat wrapped around pickles or non-dairy cheese sticks
    • Non-dairy yogurts and string cheeses - there are some made of coconut milk that are also soy-free