Weight

SingerWang_1979
SingerWang_1979 Posts: 10
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hey,

I'm starting on my diet/workout plan and I have found that my weight can go up and down by 3-4lbs during the day. Is this normal?

Replies

• Definitely. It all depends on what food you have in your body, sodium & water retention, etc... Natural factors. That's why people tend to weigh once a week in the morning, because it offers the best guideline to how much weight you're actually losing.

My weight fluctuates anywhere from 2-5 pounds a day. Nothing to fret over. :flowerforyou:
  • very normal.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Mine too - generally 4 or 5 pounds .

Amy
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Yep.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    This is one reason some people don't find it helpful to weigh every day. It's not going to give you an accurate picture of weight loss.
  • Okay, that helps a lot then. I work from home in my home office, so I've been weighting myself 2-3 times a day and seeing huge variations. I'll weigh myself in the morning tomorrow and keep a regular weekly cycle then. thanks!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Very normal, and also how many diet myths get started.

Someone will lose two pounds of fat, have a five pound fluctuation downwards, then say "if you eat more you will lose more. When I started to eat more I lost seven pounds in a week".

Or they will lose four pounds of fat in a month, then have an upward fluctuation of five pounds, and say "I gained a pound in a month by eating at a deficit", then go around telling everyone to eat more.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member

Someone will lose two pounds of fat, have a five pound fluctuation downwards, then say "if you eat more you will lose more. When I started to eat more I lost seven pounds in a week".

Or they will lose four pounds of fat in a month, then have an upward fluctuation of five pounds, and say "I gained a pound in a month by eating at a deficit", then go around telling everyone to eat more.

You actually think that's why people suggest eating at smaller deficits?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member

You actually think that's why people suggest eating at smaller deficits?

Yes, sometimes.

Especially when responding to someone not losing weight for months. They will take as absolute truth the accounting of how much one has been eating, while gladly questioning basic, proven, and repeatable science. When challenged, they go to the impossible to refute "everyone is different". To disprove that "everyone is different" is to prove a negative. It's right along the same lines as "prove there isn't a god". Well, faith is great, but it's not science.

I've often had nominal increases in my caloric intake, from reassessing the caloric value of certain items, followed by weight loss. The truth is, I had increased my actual deficit, even though on paper I am eating more.

What would be your explanation for such a common piece of MFP "wisdom" not being provable or repeatable in a controlled setting?
This discussion has been closed.