Alternative exercises when you’re in a smaller gym

Options
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I’ve tried searching online but couldn’t find an answer. I attend a smallish gym, and sometimes I can’t always always do a certain exercise in my workout due to not having that particular machine. Does anyone know of an app or website that gives you quick access to an alternative exercise to do that works the same body part? Thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Does it have free weights, racks and benches?
  • R8jlbur
    R8jlbur Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Yep got all that
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you trying to do? Bet someone here could suggest alternatives
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    R8jlbur wrote: »

Yep got all that

In that case you're not limited by the machines, with the exception of cable pulls & lat pulldowns you can do pretty much anything else with freeweights.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My gym is also very small. There aren't any machines. Stronglifts 5x5 works well because it utilizes 5 main lifts: squat, bench, ohp, rows, and deadlifts. As long as you have a squat rack, bench, bar, and plates, you can do all of the exercises. I like to supplement those lifts with split squats, glute bridges or hip thrusts, pullups, and sometimes lunges and plies with bicep curls and tricep extensions, which can all be done without machines. Most other programs don't work well for me because of my limited equipment, but there is so much you can still do!!!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Probably a lot easier to just determine what muscles that particular machine hits and 'google' exercises for that muscle. You can do every almost every exercise without a machine.
  • R8jlbur
    R8jlbur Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. After a bit more investigation I found this website: https://www.garage-gyms.com/free-weight-alternative-exercises/ it has free weight alternative for machine based exercises. Thought I’d mention it in case it was useful for anyone else.