What time do you try to stop eating by?

Options

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I usually end all my eating by 6-7 pm and start eating again by 6-7 am. I usually plan my meals and snacks ahead so I can eat every couple hours in that 12 hour period.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I wish I could stop eating when I'm done dinner around 5-6 but munchies claim me when I go to bed and read, around 7:30. :/ So I always have something(from saved calories). It's just a habit, I know. But that's the time of day I have to be extra careful because I could find myself making extra trips to the kitchen...just because.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it would matter what time you stop eating by, for weight loss?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I usually stop eating around 7 or 8 PM, but that's mostly because I don't like the feeling of having a full stomach when I go to bed. Although there are a few times I've gotten home late and eaten late..no big deal. also eat breakfast as soon as I wake up and never had an issue losing weight, so fasting at breakfast is not necessary either.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    About half hour before I go to bed I usually have some granola type cereal with yogurt. Been doing it for 30+ years and I just can't break that habit. I can't sleep well if I am hungry and that final treat just satisfies me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I try to stop before I fall asleep, lol. If I'm snacking on the couch and realize I'm nodding off, the snacks need to go!!! I try to put them up before then 😂
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Bedtime. I can't stand crumbs in the sheets.

Me too. This is why my bedtime snack is something that doesn't produce crumbs. Usually I will have some yogurt and a handful of nuts. Occasionally I will have popcorn.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Can’t sleep if hungry. Will wake up in the night hungry, can’t go back to sleep until I eat. (I’m 70 and second childhood is real!) I didn’t go to bed until 1 am last night because I couldn’t decide what to eat.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,748 Member
    Options
    I've been having my popcorn around 8:30., just started doing that after getting rainbow popcorn for Christmas and now I'm hooked!
  • carolpa1
    carolpa1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I mostly observe an 8 hour eating window with a 16 hour overnight fast. That's just my choice, as I find it easier to keep my calories in line, andI sleep better with an empty stomach. I grew up eating 3 meals with no snacks, and dinner was our last food for the day. I got away from that as an adult, but am working toward following that again. There are some days that I eat something after dinner. Nothing is written in stone, and I don't try to push my ideas on anyone else.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I typically eat breakfast during the week around 7 and on the weekends whenever I wake up, and dinner is usually between 5-6:30, depending on if I have school that night, and that's usually it for me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is any special weight loss magic to it but I usually stop eating by 7 pm at the latest and eat again at 7 am.

Maybe once a week I'll eat a snack at 9 pm because I had a dinner that was too light or got in a lot of extra exercise.

Usually I eat dinner early around 5-6 and then brush/floss by 7 so that's when I stop eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    We typically have dinner around 5:30/6pm. Than I'll normally have a snack around 7:30-8. Sometimes if I still have calories left or if I'm up late with my 3 month old I'll want to snack again around 9-9:30. I try to make the 8pm my cut off & not eat after that. Is it really bad to eat late like that? I try not to eat anything too heavy during the late times. Thanks! **I am exclusively breastfeeding so I'm adding those extra calories daily**

There's nothing magical about having a cutoff time...your body is working 24/7. I eat dinner most nights around 8:30...sometimes 9. There's nothing "bad" about eating late unless it causes you digestive distress.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Start eating about 7-8 am
    Stop eating around 3 am
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    If nothing alters my regular routine I stop eating at 7pm, right after dinner. This is mainly because anything eaten after this time tends to be a poor choice and eliminating the time instead of the food is easier for me. If dinner is later for some reason I’ll work around it.

I also find that I sleep better and get a better start the next day by aiming for 11-12 hours between last and first meal.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Stop eating around 3 am

Ahh that's like my schedule. So when you aren't eating you are sleeping, a little ;)
  • watts6151
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Stop eating around 3 am

Ahh that's like my schedule. So when you aren't eating you are sleeping, a little ;)

Pretty much, cannot get out of the habit of
    3am meal 🙄
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those who have a strict cutoff time: 8 PM, sundown, whatever.

How do you deal with situations where you can't fit your last meal in by that time? Say you have a meeting to attend after work, and it runs late, and now it's past your cutoff? Or you're working on a special project and can't take a break to eat before that time?

Do you skip it and go hungry? Do you avoid getting in those situations? Do you keep an emergency granola bar with you?

As an unabashed late eater, I look forward to enjoying my evening meal after the chaos has passed. I wouldn't be very happy with a strict, arbitrary time that messed up my schedule. But this is an obvious example where "everyone is different."
  • watts6151
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I have a question for those who have a strict cutoff time: 8 PM, sundown, whatever.

How do you deal with situations where you can't fit your last meal in by that time? Say you have a meeting to attend after work, and it runs late, and now it's past your cutoff? Or you're working on a special project and can't take a break to eat before that time?

Do you skip it and go hungry? Do you avoid getting in those situations? Do you keep an emergency granola bar with you?

As an unabashed late eater, I look forward to enjoying my evening meal after the chaos has passed. I wouldn't be very happy with a strict, arbitrary time that messed up my schedule. But this is an obvious example where "everyone is different."

If those people eat after a certain time I’m pretty sure they turn into Gremlins 😂
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

My eating window is noon to 7 pm. I do achieve this on most days; however, I dispense with it easily and quickly when it doesn't fit. Last night I was out with some friends at a new-ish joint called Coopers Hawk and we were eating and drinking late. I went well over on my cals and way over on the 7 pm cutoff. But today I'm back on track.

@NovusDies talks about being on track "most of the time" or roughly 80 %, and I've adopted the same idea. "Most of the time" is good enough to get the job done with any aspect of dieting, so that's what I go with.

Time restricted eating exists to make my weight loss effort easier; during times when it'd make things harder, I don't do it. I don't want to fight with my diet, so I make it fit my needs.

This is not to be confused with "I do time restricted eating except when I don't feel like it". The only time I eat after 7 pm is for a social engagement or the very rare popcorn for a movie at night. I don't take the eating window casually - if I did, it'd completely crash and burn. But I don't let it get in the way of living my life.