Flu fatigue

Options
2 weeks ago I came down with influenza b and I feel like I have finally recovered. I have no symptoms other then fatigue and weakness. I took the first week off doing nothing but sleeping and laying around. This past week I started walking on Thursday on the tredmill and yesterday was my first day back working out and it was awful! I was so weak and it was miserable.
My biggest concern is that by 8 at night I am so tired I cant keep my eyes open. I do teach kindergarten and I have two littles at home so I know I am busy, but how long did it take you to get your energy back, I feel like I am starting at square one again with exercise. I was working out 4-5 times a week for an hour. I will add that I am eating at maintance and not trying to lose weight.

Replies

• jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had the flu earlier this year and luckily I got over the worst of it in about 5 days. After I recovered I still had a lingering cough, but I didn't notice too much fatigue (though my normal day is a lot calmer than what yours sounds like). I started back into exercise with really gentle yoga so I wasn't trying to get my heart rate up yet. The goal at that point was to start engaging muscles to see how they were feeling and test how much they could handle.

So yeah, do start at square one with exercise and slowly ramp up. Don't expect to get right back to where you were immediately or you could end up setting yourself back for longer.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I just got the flu yesterday. Glad to hear the prognosis is so good :|
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I’m afraid that with proper flu it can take another 2-3 weeks to feel back to normal. It’s c 2 weeks to get over the illness and c2 weeks to recover. It’s nasty - your strength will come back quickly once you get going but you have to get over the flu properly. I was told by a friend (who is a doctor) that you can tell you only have a cold if someone says there is £50 on your doorstep: with a cold you’ll get out of bed to get it. With flu, you really do not care!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I’m afraid that with proper flu it can take another 2-3 weeks to feel back to normal. It’s c 2 weeks to get over the illness and c2 weeks to recover. It’s nasty - your strength will come back quickly once you get going but you have to get over the flu properly. I was told by a friend (who is a doctor) that you can tell you only have a cold if someone says there is £50 on your doorstep: with a cold you’ll get out of bed to get it. With flu, you really do not care!

Right now, there'd have to be an extra large NY style pepperoni pizza with extra cheese on my doorstep for me to get out of bed, so I guess it's the flu B)
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I got the flu - was bedridden with fever for about a week. I was able to return to work about five days later. My first day back at the gym after I was "fully recovered" was a nightmare. I felt like my heart was going to explode out of my chest after my first set of bench. I couldn't catch my breath and by mid workout I was wiped. Strength took about a 20% hit too. I lost about 9 pounds when I was sick even though I tried my hardest to get protein and calories in. It took me over two weeks back in the gym before my lifts recovered and I didn't feel like hurling after every hard set. Influenza sucks. :(
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Sucks sucks sucks. And is very disruptive.

The only thing I can say is that, in a couple of months, this will be a dim memory.

I am getting over a bad cold and I feel pretty ticked about it!
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I had it at Cbristmas. Took 3 to 4 weeks before I felt OK again. Don't push yourself too hard. You have a tiring job both at work and at home. Listen to your body, sleep when you need to sleep even if that means going to bed at the same time as your children and don't push yourself to do too much exercise.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    First day back today after feeling rough for a few weeks then finally succumbing to the pesky virus

Not sure what ached more, muscles, connective tissue or the bones themselves 😂

Lungs still feel like a 60 a day smoker
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Took me 6wks to get back to my normal fitness and not coughing my lungs up after every session.

You could try Metatone or Sambucol to boost energy/immunity
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've only ever had the actual, real flu once and it took about 6 weeks before I was 100% normal. Not to say I didn't have improvement, but it was about 6 weeks to be 100%
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better to hear that it’s not unheard of to feel so wiped out. It’s really hard for me to jump back into things slowly, I have an all or nothing personality. Just going to take it easy and walk for another week and try to ease into exercise.