weight fluctuations - can't make sense of them

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    If you started exercising two weeks ago as well, you could be retaining water from that. I gained 7 pounds of water weight when I started weight lifting.

If you have a menstrual cycle and are ovulating or premenstrual, you could be retaining water from that.

How much weight do you have to lose? From your diary, it looks like you are aiming for 1200 calories - if that isn't enough for you, that is stressful, and stress can lead to increased cortisol, which can make you retain water as well.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

https://bodyrecomposition.com/research/dietary-restraint-and-cortisol-levels-research-review.html/

Undereating can also lead to this:

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    This has been so helpful. Thank you all for sharing your tips and knowledge. I'm going with this morning's weight as my official start weight. So 30-35lb is my goal weight loss. Weigh in first thing every morning and I'll try and find an app to do one of those charts that show fluctuations and trends.

You've got it!
    Things just happen and weight fluctuates. Especially for women as changes in hormone levels usually lead to a change in water weight.
    Mind you, I'm on a training course this week. Monday; as usual a low weight. Now normally my weight would go up a bit in the course of the week due to having an office job, bit of water in the legs, etc. Then go down again come Sunday. Thus this week:
    Monday morning: lowest weight of the week
    Tuesday morning: after sitting in a study room all Monday with far too little movement, too little drinking and no pooping my weight jumps straight to the expected Saturday weight.
    Wednesday morning: still not been to the loo on Tuesday. Still too little movement. Bit more drinking. Yikes! That's a massive plus on the scale!
    Thursday morning: we'll see...
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    @OAS5 - are you getting those fluctuations even though you are sticking to your MFP calorie allowance? I've stuck to my healthy eating plan every day except one day for nearly two weeks and not lost any weight at all, which is a bit disheartening when everyone claims you lose loads of water weight at first. Not here! But I feel so much better for cutting out sugar and refined carbs, not eating to excess, so much more in control and heading towards how I used to eat - healthily and sensibly through choice. So I'll keep at it. But some weight loss would be really welcome. I am so sick of being the fattest person in the room. And sick of being invisible.

I get fluctuations yes, but I have lost 74 pounds with just 15 more to go so I expect all this. I never, ever thought the last 15 pounds were going to be this hard and frustrating. Good luck and you can do it! Sorry I saw this post so late, I apologize.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    @OAS5 - are you getting those fluctuations even though you are sticking to your MFP calorie allowance? I've stuck to my healthy eating plan every day except one day for nearly two weeks and not lost any weight at all, which is a bit disheartening when everyone claims you lose loads of water weight at first. Not here! But I feel so much better for cutting out sugar and refined carbs, not eating to excess, so much more in control and heading towards how I used to eat - healthily and sensibly through choice. So I'll keep at it. But some weight loss would be really welcome. I am so sick of being the fattest person in the room. And sick of being invisible.

People doing keto lose loads of water weight initially. If you’re eating what you did before, just less of it, that likely won’t happen.
  • AZSCUBAMOM1
    AZSCUBAMOM1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Check out this YouTube video by Jordan Syatt. He totally explains weight fluctuations in a way that is SO understandable. https://youtu.be/7EnY3Ya_soU
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options
    Found another reason for temporary water weight gain: having a stomach bug. Seems like everything I drink ends up in the intestines, to be expelled the next morning/noon :s of course after the scale visit :D
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    @AZSCUBAMOM1 Thanks for the video link. I'll take a look at that today.

I think I need to stop obsessing on the scales and just check the once a week trend is downward not upward.

Yesterday I felt really hungry. I'd been avoiding carbs, mainly, apart from a small amount of sugar-free granola. But yesterday I had extra granola, a bag of crisps (potato chips) and two small bags of popcorn as my body was shouting for carbs. And I went over my calories - not enough to gain but over by about 300. This morning, I'd dropped a pound! It makes no sense to me.

After the first two weeks of nothing happening, it seems my body has finally worked out it is getting less food and will have to use up the reserves!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @AZSCUBAMOM1 Thanks for the video link. I'll take a look at that today.

I think I need to stop obsessing on the scales and just check the once a week trend is downward not upward.

Yesterday I felt really hungry. I'd been avoiding carbs, mainly, apart from a small amount of sugar-free granola. But yesterday I had extra granola, a bag of crisps (potato chips) and two small bags of popcorn as my body was shouting for carbs. And I went over my calories - not enough to gain but over by about 300. This morning, I'd dropped a pound! It makes no sense to me.

After the first two weeks of nothing happening, it seems my body has finally worked out it is getting less food and will have to use up the reserves!

I feel like the body has a mind of its own when it comes to water weight. It's possible to retain water weight when you eat carbs because of glycogen, and it's also possible to drop water weight when you eat carbs if not eating carbs is chronically stressful and cortisol is causing water retention. I just stopped questioning why and how and just take every weigh in at its face value - a single data point in a trend line.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Cherys - can I say how absolutely lovely it is how you are responding to the various members input. It is nice to see someone ask a question and then think about and consider the answers. To then use that information towards determining actions.
    It is so nice and makes me feel so happy. Thank you.
  • cherys
    Options
    Thank you @amtyrell. I'm discovering there is so much I don't know about how our bodies work with regard to weight loss and people on here are so helpful and knowledgable. I read MFP forums described as an online group of dedicated self-care the other day and thought what a great way of looking at it.
  • cherys
    Options
    That video was helpful. Sounds like I fell into the second pattern of nothing happening for the first two weeks, then the weight drops. Worth knowing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I wonder who disliked the video. He explained things well.
  • AZSCUBAMOM1
    AZSCUBAMOM1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That video was helpful. Sounds like I fell into the second pattern of nothing happening for the first two weeks, then the weight drops. Worth knowing.

So glad it helped! I really find his stuff helpful and that one made me look at the whole cycle differently for the first time ever.

Best of luck (and hard work) to you!