Question for dog lovers

ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
What do you feed your best friends?
Been a lot of hype lately about grain-free and now you shouldn't feed them grain free due to possible heart problems. But 1 of my dogs has a ton of allergies. And my vet suggested I go back to the grain foods, even though she's tested for positive to certain grains. So I switched and omg, my poor pup broke out in some serious hives. :( So now I've switched her back to GF but it's taking time to subside. :( Poor thing.
So just curious what you all feed your dogs? Thanks!

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    edited February 2020
    Spoiled dogs here..

We feed them mix.. taste of the wild (grain free) and avoderm... Once a week soft food in a can (Costco brand.. kirkland )

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/best-dry-dog-foods/

• ReenieHJ
    I feed mine GF TOTW too and they were doing very well, til my vet suggested the switch. :( My next appt. is scheduled with the *other* vet within the same practice.
    They've got such different approaches to pet care and this other vet is more in line with my thoughts. A year and a half ago, I spent $1000 taking 1 of my dogs to see her, and she wanted me to put my dog through all sorts of tests, giving her IV fluids, different meds, was going to have me take her to the city for ultrasounds, etc. My fav vet met me out in the office and said 'let's try this special canned food, give her anti nausea meds., give her a week and see what happens. Week later she was back to perfect. :) I was so glad to have her healthy again but dang.....I don't have money to waste on try this test, try that test.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    edited February 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I feed mine GF TOTW too and they were doing very well, til my vet suggested the switch. :( My next appt. is scheduled with the *other* vet within the same practice.
    They've got such different approaches to pet care and this other vet is more in line with my thoughts. A year and a half ago, I spent $1000 taking 1 of my dogs to see her, and she wanted me to put my dog through all sorts of tests, giving her IV fluids, different meds, was going to have me take her to the city for ultrasounds, etc. My fav vet met me out in the office and said 'let's try this special canned food, give her anti nausea meds., give her a week and see what happens. Week later she was back to perfect. :) I was so glad to have her healthy again but dang.....I don't have money to waste on try this test, try that test.

Our vet told the same.. googled and it's a recent study/recommendation not to feed them grain free..

But thinking to myself. If dogs lived in the wild. What they eat? They're carnivores..😝
  • RoseyandReady
    RoseyandReady Posts: 256 Member
    No grains and no poultry for my pooch. She breaks out in hot spots or gets ear infections if someone decides to give her something from their plate which is a no no...but kids sometimes can't resist her puppy dog eyes.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    My 2 toy and 1 miniature poodle get Eukanuba for seniors, a premium dry dog food and a chicken wing every day.
    I leave a bowl out available for them to snack when they wish.
    Solomon, the miniature has a beef allergy so I make sure to read ingredients on everything.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    I feed my dog Royal Canin. It's what he was fed before we got him and I didnt want to deal with the potential effect of a change.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2020
    Purina Dental for the past 2 years... transitioning to Hills HD because one of my girls was diagnosed with heart disease, and this is supposed to a lower sodium heart healthy food. When I rescued my dogs I was told one of them had gluten/grain allergies... turns out her allergies are all environmental, not dietary. But if you've had yours tested, you have more valid information to go off of than I did.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    edited February 2020
    Dumb question since I don't have dogs atm, but had them as furry family members in the past; why don't you feed them strictly wet food? Or is your doggo very allergic to most of the meat choices?
  • ReenieHJ
    edited February 2020
    Dumb question since I don't have dogs atm, but had them as furry family members in the past; why don't you feed them strictly wet food? Or is your doggo very allergic to most of the meat choices?

Expense mostly, I just assumed it'd be more expensive? I truly don't know. Might be a question to ask my vet when I bring her next time, within a month again. I'd have to check the vast list I have of recommended foods for her and see what ones are allowed. I've just never used wet food much, except when 1 of them had severe stomach issues a year and a half ago. She didn't show up on the testing as allergic to any meats, mostly dairy, whole grains, sweet potatoes, potatoes, borderline peanut butter and a whole bunch of environmental issues.

Thank you for all your insight everybody!
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Expense mostly, I just assumed it'd be more expensive? I truly don't know. Might be a question to ask my vet when I bring her next time, within a month again. I'd have to check the vast list I have of recommended foods for her and see what ones are allowed. I've just never used wet food much, except when 1 of them had severe stomach issues a year and a half ago. She didn't show up on the testing as allergic to any meats, mostly dairy, whole grains, sweet potatoes, potatoes, borderline peanut butter and a whole bunch of environmental issues.

Thank you for all your insight everybody!

It can be. But grain free foods are also expensive these days, so I don't really see the difference unless you're going very high end (grass fed, all organic, etc.). I hope you'll find something that works for her!
  • renydo2
    renydo2 Posts: 2,152 Member
    I feed all of our dogs Hill's Science Diet - different varieties for their ages but luckily have never had any issues. Have been using it for thirty years or so and have always had healthy, long lived fur babies. I use two different vets and both speak highly of the brand. Just my experience.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    My dog eats Purina One large breed. This is at the reco of my vet. I've been told to stay away from GF too, from my vet. He said it is ok for cats, but not for dogs. Something concerning the iodine levels....I can't remember exactly. But I'm sure your vet will be open to discussing the allergy issues and finding something you can work with. If they aren't, I'd say try to find a different vet.

I am in a dog group on face book, and a lot of people that have dogs with grain allergies give them a raw diet, or cook home made for them. I know the raw diet can get really expensive so it wouldn't be an option for me, but maybe you could try an elimination diet for a week or so to find out what grain specifically your pup is allergic to? For example, give him chicken and brown rice and see what happens. Maybe he is only allergic to corn? Just an idea, but again your vet should be very open and willing to help you find a diet that works!
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    I switched my dogs to grain free Sportsmix Wholesomes a few years ago and they were doing so much better. I don't think it's a "top tier" food, but it's a mix of value, quality, and what works for the pups.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,511 Member
    My Husky and German Shepherd eat Science Diet
  • okc0mputr
    okc0mputr Posts: 20 Member
    orijen freeze dried
  • my_gatorgirl_8
    my_gatorgirl_8 Posts: 125 Member
    My large dogs eat twice a day KIMBLES & BITS, with a small scoop of CAN DOG FOOD mixed in it...they are healthy & love it.
  • _Kashmir_314
    _Kashmir_314 Posts: 707 Member
    edited February 2020
    My dog is strictly on an all raw diet. Every time I turned around a commercial pet food was being outed as containing actual poison! With all the arsenic and BPAs showing up in kibble, this was the best choice (in my personal opinion.)Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    Hill's Science Diet here too. When I got my rescue girl, everything was going straight through her, it was trial and error to find something that she would actually digest for any length of time. (I was buying stool tests at the vet in threes to save money but nothing ever showed up) Now she can't handle anything with too much chicken in it.

My little guy was a super picky eater and wouldn't eat high end brands like Blue Buffalo puppy, so he ended up on Science Diet too.

They're healthy and active and their weight is good.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    they get a mix of purina dog chow and farm and fleet performance. the latter is local store brand and it is cheap but it has helped with shedding, coat, and poo smell. and they prefer it.
    when i foster dogs i mix whatever we have in with the regular food and they'll dig around in their food for the farm and fleet food
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    they get a mix of purina dog chow and farm and fleet performance. the latter is local store brand and it is cheap but it has helped with shedding, coat, and poo smell. and they prefer it.
    when i foster dogs i mix whatever we have in with the regular food and they'll dig around in their food for the farm and fleet food

Good for you for fostering!!!