I need support

Options
I haven't been as active on the boards as I have been in the past. I'm still maintaining my weight and was lifting up until this week. I've had multiple rounds of antibiotics for an abscessed tooth, and Monday morning I got hit with C.Diff. I'm not sure if everyone knows what that is, but it's the big warning in the paperwork you get with antibiotics.

It's got me down. I don't know when I'll be able to start working out again. I haven't seen a doctor since the ER on Monday night, my doctor wants to see me when I finish my antibiotics. I'm in limbo.

Exercise is my go-to stress reliever. I can't go to the gym right now, not just for my low energy but for the health of others. I'm worried about what the future looks like for me. Is this something anyone has been through and come out okay on the other end? I've found some C.Diff support groups but they are all doom and gloom and I don't think it is representative of what really happens. I think the people who take their pills and get better don't go online and talk about it, so the support groups are full of people who are having more trouble. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. I'm hoping that I will finish my meds and be part of the 80-90% that overcomes it with the first treatment. Anyone been through this or known someone who has?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    I haven't been as active on the boards as I have been in the past. I'm still maintaining my weight and was lifting up until this week. I've had multiple rounds of antibiotics for an abscessed tooth, and Monday morning I got hit with C.Diff. I'm not sure if everyone knows what that is, but it's the big warning in the paperwork you get with antibiotics.

It's got me down. I don't know when I'll be able to start working out again. I haven't seen a doctor since the ER on Monday night, my doctor wants to see me when I finish my antibiotics. I'm in limbo.

Exercise is my go-to stress reliever. I can't go to the gym right now, not just for my low energy but for the health of others. I'm worried about what the future looks like for me. Is this something anyone has been through and come out okay on the other end? I've found some C.Diff support groups but they are all doom and gloom and I don't think it is representative of what really happens. I think the people who take their pills and get better don't go online and talk about it, so the support groups are full of people who are having more trouble. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. I'm hoping that I will finish my meds and be part of the 80-90% that overcomes it with the first treatment. Anyone been through this or known someone who has?

I don't have a lot of details, but I know that one of my casual friends had C.Diff and recovered fine. I'd say she's average-ish in health, to start, so it's not like I'm talking about some kind of nutritionally-perfect, super-fit person: Just a normal middle-aged woman, pretty good diet, a little on the heavy side (high normal to low overweight BMI, I'd guess), does yoga a few times a week, but not super active otherwise.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    So sad for your health setback. It’s a real bummer. And scary. Good on you for asking for the support you need. No first hand experience but I have two friends, one in her 60s and one in her 50s when diagnosed. Both were hospitalized when they had it. Both recovered fully and are just fine now. The older one in particular was super smart about getting rest and really took time ramping up to her previous activities. She does moderate gym workouts a couple days a week in winter and in summer plays golf and rides horses for exercise. She did a lot less the summer following but did travel and entertained houseguests and was back to normal by fall.

I feel for you missing exercise for the stress relief. I really do. Maybe a guided meditation app? Or try a couple gentle yoga routines? It took over a year of practice before I actually found yoga calming. Probably it took that long to attain sufficient mastery of the poses. I enjoy it in the evening with chill music. My routines are only 12 minutes! It feels like genuine self care now. It doesn’t replace rigorous cardio or heavy lifting, but it’s something.

Take care and let us know how you’re doing!
  • Saskatchebun
    Saskatchebun Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had C.Diff after taking antibiotics for a minor infection 3 years ago. It was really, really hard and I felt very alone and very sick. It took me 5 months to get better - but I did and you will too! ♥️ I'm here for you if you want support!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    Hang in there boo! You're in a rough spot but you'll make it out fine! 🤗
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Wow. I really sense your frustration and uncertainty. You said your GP wanted to see you after finishing the antibiotics, but it sounds like it would help to have someone to talk to NOW. Can you call your GP office back and ask for someone in the office to talk over the phone for these very reasonable questions? E.g. a PA, nurse, case worker, etc. It's nice when a GP is the quarterback when multiple doctors involved. That is supposed to be their role.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Exercise is my go-to stress reliever too. (Used to be food, then booze etc., then back to food.)

I agree with the recommendation for physical yoga.

Additionally, this yoga philosophy/guided meditations CD (which has no yoga postures) has been especially helpful to me in times of severe stress:

Yoga for Emotional Flow: Free Your Emotions Through Yoga Breathing, Body Awareness, and Energetic Release

I've been to two workshops with Stephen Cope and just adore him.