Yoga

Options
Has anyone managed to lose weight by using walking and yoga as their only exercise?
I HATE high intensity exercise, it just feels like I'm punishing myself and I find it very hard to do regularly. I desperately want to lose weight but also want to get my mental health and my body image in check and so spending hours in the gym doing something I loathe just doesn't seem like a good solution but everything I read suggests these are the only ways to lose weight.
Has anyone had luck losing just by eating a calorie deficit and doing low impact exercise like yoga and walking?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without any exercise at all (not that I'd recommend it but google the twinkie diet). It's all about energy balance, consuming fewer calories than you expend.

Walking is a great low impact activity, while it may not burn as many calories as running it's something that we can do 7 days a week, 365 days a year and contributes to both cardiovascular fitness and mental well being (especially if you have some nice parks or recreational paths to use). Yoga is something I need to start doing, as we age we lose flexibility - even worse for those of us who sit at desks all day - doesn't burn a ton of calories but is good for your health and can be calming

Good luck.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    I lost my first thirty pounds with walking and yoga, however, I did the dynamic flow type yoga and was doing it every single day.

When I moved to hot classes and added in hot mat Pilates, I lost another thirty and felt like I was shaping up.

Three months after that, I started working with a personal trainer. She owns a barbell gym and is all about weights, lifting, free weights, machines, ball slams, rubber bands, kettlebells- anything involving weight or force. ( She also makes me stop and stretch between every single thing I do. I’ve had guy trainers in the past who never did that. I sincerely feel like it keeps me from injury.)

She’s a lower weight /higher reps believer, although I’m verrry slowly working up to higher weights. I know some don’t believe that method, but she’s in fantastic shape. It has taken a year working with her, but now, (I am proud to say) I am as well.

Oh and I started running about seven months ago. Haven’t had much chance to in the past couple months due to a stupidly avoidable (trying to sneak in a run in the wrong shoes- don’t do that!) bruising fall and rain, rain rain and more rain.

I’ve lost 84 pounds. My trainer’s favorite saying? “I didn’t do that. You came to me in that shape! It’s all that yoga!” It helped, but seriously she drew the butterfly out of the cocoon.

But to answer your question, walking and yoga were totally my foundation.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For range of motion yoga is great. I'm otherwise healthy, I can walk for miles, but my range of motion is pathetic. I've started back with yoga and I'm already seeing improvements after only a few weeks.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can.
    weight loss is from a calorie deficit. you can lose weight without any exercise.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Yoga keeps me flexible. Weight machines keep me strong. I lose weight in the kitchen, not the gym.

Now, I hope as I lose weight to be able to do more walking. I have arthritis in my feet from a car accident that limits my mobility. But I'm not counting on walking to make me able to lose weight, because there are days where my standing budget is low and I have to save it for daily life stuff.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Weight/fat loss = CI<CO, that's it. Yoga is a great form of exercise, I do it daily...