Better to Exercise in the morning or evening

Options
hi as the subject say any tips on morning or evening exercise i do alot of cycling and its starting to get dark in the evenings here in the uk should i bite the bullet start before i go to work

any advise and tips on this many thanks

Replies

• misskate1987
    Options
    Different people will tell you different things.

I believe that the best time to exercise is when you're actually going to do it - for me it's in the evening because I'm not a morning person (in an ideal world it would be middle of the day - alas, I have to work).
  • jamiemommy
    jamiemommy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the person? I hate exercising at night because then I can't sleep? I always run and go to the gym in the morning.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the person? I hate exercising at night because then I can't sleep? I always run and go to the gym in the morning.

Me too. I used to play night fixtures, get home by 10pm, have a shower and finally come down from the evening so that I could sleep at about 11:30pm.
  • brandon_2A
    Options
    I work nights so my times are backwards from most people but my answer is "either". Some days I feel like going in the morning after work, some days I'm tired when I get home but I'lll get up a little early in the afternoon and go.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference in terms of weight loss, but I know some people who find doing exercise at night makes it more difficult to sleep.

Just choose whichever works best for you.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I hate to exercise on an empty stomach so early morning isn't good for me. I always train after work, even on the weekend I'll go late morning.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Better to Exercise

Fixed it for you.
  • vicksg1973
    Options
    As I sit here trying to find any excuse or task to stop me having to start my daily dose of Jillian Michaels, I was hoping someone would have conclusive proof that morning exercise is bad for you!

Now I suppose I will just have to grit my teeth and get on with it. Morning person or no morning person!
  • lrobson555
    lrobson555 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used to get up early and exercise in the morning, but now I start work earlier and get up at 6.15 as it is!
    Haven't been exercising for a while, but going to start again tonight I think when I get home from work. Never exercised in the evening before so it'll be a new experience for me!!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    For me, it is "better" to exercise in the morning because there is nothing to derail my plans (i.e. getting stuck at work, train delay, etc.). It seems whenever I push it out into the evening, something inevitably happens to thwart my plans.
  • wiserebel
    wiserebel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do both. Mornings is insanity, I usually get up around 5.30. Evenings are for runs between 30mins and an hour after the kids are in bed!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You will burn more fat if you exercise in the morning because as you eat through the day you will increase glycogen levels and then exercise in the evening will burn this and your body will be lessen resistant to releasing fat for burning. My Dad was a Doctor and I remember him saying this too me; I checked it out - as well all can - and its seems to be the case. So for me, morning is best. Hodgie x
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You will burn more fat if you exercise in the morning because as you eat through the day you will increase glycogen levels and then exercise in the evening will burn this and your body will be lessen resistant to releasing fat for burning. My Dad was a Doctor and I remember him saying this too me; I checked it out - as well all can - and its seems to be the case. So for me, morning is best. Hodgie x

Pardon?
  • dadzzz
    dadzzz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thank you my friend!
  • sugarysweet110
    Options
    I think it's all just personal preference. The best thing to remember is that you should always exercise at a time that you're most likely to stick to.

I am NOT a morning person and I don't like working out with nothing in my stomach, so mornings are never an ideal time for me to exercise. I usually exercise after I get home from work or in the evening-- and I still manage to get a good night's sleep. But, that's not ideal for everyone.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It depends on what feels right for you and what works best with your schedule. I walk every morning before work during the week. But, if that doesn't happen then I do it in the evening.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Different for everyone. Whichever works better for you.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

There is very very LIGHT evidence that training in a fasted state can increase fat burning, but the differences are very small, particularly if you are eating late in the evening. The hormones that would release to encourage fat mobilization don't kick in until like 12-16 hours in a fasted state if I remember properly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Erm, sorry - no.
    Fat loss is related to calorie deficit and not time of day.

As to the topic "Better to Exercise in the morning or evening" - the answer is yes, either or both.