Training for a 10K

Options
jelleigh
jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
edited February 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for how to train for a 10K run, how quickly I could train in, and any tips in general?

I've never run a race before and I know most people would start with a 5K but I have a group of friends doing a 10K at the end of May and I'd like to join them if possible.

My current fitness level is... well I'm doing 21 day fix (on my 3rd round) so I'm doing 30 min a day of weights/cardio. I dont typically run (let's face it - it would really be more of a slow jog lol) but in the past I did use C2K. I never finished the whole program - just would get distracted and had no specific goal in mind or timeline. But i can fairly easily complete week 3 at my current level? So I'm thinking if I spend the $ on a race and have a date I have to work to, I would be motivated to work through.
What do you think? Do I have enough time to get up to speed? Can I train indoors effectively (it's still snowy where I am)? Is C210K a good program?

Replies

• ssorg9
    ssorg9 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Agree with spiriteagle99. You will probably have to go into it planning on a run/walk strategy. The good news is that runners are usually pretty cool and supportive.
  • SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just like they all said above. Assuming this is your first 10k or race in general, I would suggest you set a realistic goal such as finishing the race and not boxing yourself into a time frame. However, do keep in mind that most races do have a certain time they go on the course to pick up stragglers particularly if the road being used for the race is a major highway etc. I don't know when your 10k is, I have included a link to assist with your training. Good luck!

https://jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/10k/
  • jelleigh
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Ya I definitely didn't have a time goal in mind (I don't even know what would be "good" if I did?). And walk/run is fine by me. Actually a friend of mine that trains people for marathons says that people who do a 10:1 run/walk pattern generally have better overall times than those that try to run straight through. I thought that was interesting. Either way I didn't expect that I would be running the full 10K straight. I would be super happy to just be able to complete it lol.

Ok so does it matter if I am training on a treadmill? I've heard that in order to make it similar to running outside you should set it to an incline. Is that true? If so, how much of an incline would be good?

The race registration site asks for estimated completion time (I have no idea what I would be) but one of the categories is just >70 min so it sounds like there isn't a tight timeline for completing things overall.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Ya I definitely didn't have a time goal in mind (I don't even know what would be "good" if I did?). And walk/run is fine by me. Actually a friend of mine that trains people for marathons says that people who do a 10:1 run/walk pattern generally have better overall times than those that try to run straight through. I thought that was interesting. Either way I didn't expect that I would be running the full 10K straight. I would be super happy to just be able to complete it lol.

Ok so does it matter if I am training on a treadmill? I've heard that in order to make it similar to running outside you should set it to an incline. Is that true? If so, how much of an incline would be good?

The race registration site asks for estimated completion time (I have no idea what I would be) but one of the categories is just >70 min so it sounds like there isn't a tight timeline for completing things overall.

Training on a treadmill isn't going to be a perfect prep for racing outside, but it's far better than not training at all.

Given that you're newish to running, I wouldn't worry at all about messing with the incline. You just want to work on getting your body used to running. If you find that the 10k course has some hills, you can always decide to walk those. It's incredibly common to see people walking hills during races.

• SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will ever get the same workout running on the treadmill, but the treadmill is certainly a good place to start if you are not able to run outside. i would suggest putting your incline at level 2 or 3.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Are you training on the TM by choice or necessity? Can you do any of your training outside?

The road is a harder surface than the TM, the road (probably) has some camber and surface imperfections (meaning every step isn’t the same), the road has incline and decline, and most importantly-you have to pace yourself (which is really the most important of all of these).

It would be good to do as much of your training outside as possible.

That said-you’re not doomed doing your training on the TM. You don’t need to do anything fancy with incline - More isn’t better there. Just do the running.

Also for your projected time, a 70 min finish time is an average 11:15-ish pace. That’s not fast but also not altogether all that slow-particularly for people running a first race.

Have fun and enjoy!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting c25k at week 3 or 4, then working through that and bridge to 10k. May is a long way off, you should be all right. The estimated time is so they can assign you a starting corral, so if you plan on starting with your friends ask them what they are putting. If you don’t, just put 70+ on the time, if you run faster no one is going to be angry at you, but walking in front of faster people who are trying to run a good race is a breach of etiquette.

If you possibly can, get some training outside! First of all, treadmill is boring, and second, you will benefit from the experience of dealing with conditions and learning what clothing works. The race will happen rain, shine, or uncomfortably hot, and it’s much less demoralizing to face bad conditions if you know that you have done it in the past and it was no big deal. I would also suggest maybe signing up for a 5k in the middle of your training, or find a parkrun or something similar.
  • jelleigh
    Options
    Ok great advice.
    I would prefer to train outside -we have some nice trails nearby that would suit. But I live in Toronto and today is the first day in weeks that hasn't been like -10 Celsius and the sidewalks covered in ice/snow. It looks like its getting milder so I might be able to switch to outside soon. I don't mind it being cold, but I'm wary of running if there is still ice on the ground since I really don't want to injure myself in a fall.

Thanks @rheddmobile and @Duck_Puddle for the race etiquette and race time info. I will check with my running buddy and she what she is saying. I'm not sure what a parkrun is? But I will see if there is a 5K sometime soon.

Oh - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to keep posting questions in this thread but since its still on this topic - I know shoe quality is important and they wear out faster than you expect. How do you tell if your shoes are too worn? Also, I'm on essentially a lower fat keto type diet. I know typically people carb up for cardio/races. Is that something I need to worry about or is that just if you are doing something like a marathon?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A parkrun is like a mini informal 5k race held usually weekly at a park - I looked up Toronto and due to problems with city park fees there’s only one held at a Federal park. https://www.parkrun.ca/downsview/

Running keto adapted is a whole thing. It works better for long distance running than shorter distances - keto is a slower way of providing glucose to the muscles than breaking down carbs so it’s not as good at keeping up with rapid glucose consumption. But some keto runners have found it works well for them. If you are truly keto adapted, go ahead and try it. If you are only “sort of low carb” and not really keto adapted, eating a few more carbs timed with your running may be more comfortable for you. Most people have enough glycogen stored to run for about an hour, hour and a half, so a 10k you might not need extra fuel.

Definitely visit a runner store and get your gait analyzed and get fitted for shoes. The rule of thumb is 300 to 500 miles and 6 months, but some shoes last longer and some wear out faster. If you notice weird leg pains that you haven’t had in the past, one of the first places to look is your shoes.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Training on the TM is okay, but you should do as many runs outside as you can. The first few runs may feel much harder than the TM, and it is better to get that over with before the race. If you set the incline on the TM to 1 - 1.5% you'll have a little bit the equivalent of running outside, since outside is never really flat, but it doesn't teach you about pacing yourself (so you don't go too fast) or dealing with weather and wind.

You'll know your shoes are shot when you get random pains that don't last but still hurt. Usually shoes will last 300-500 miles. I track my shoes on my running log on runningahead.com.

For a short race, you don't need to carb load. Carbs become more important on races over 2 hours. If you've been doing low carb for a while, you should be fat adapted. Burning fat instead of carbohydrates is less efficient, but your body does adapt. Some people will eat low carb until just before a race, then eat carbs to get the extra energy, but that risks stomach issues.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Once you have completed c25k there is a bridge to 10k program that takes 6 weeks to get you to running for an hour. I found it very helpful in building up my endurance.

Also... Parkrun is amazing. Definite go if there is one near you. They are very encouraging and include runners, walkers, and run/walk-ers. I found it to be a great way to connect with the local running community.
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm in Toronto and have run outside all winter. It depends where you are. Where I am they do the sidewalks pretty quickly.

One tip- cemetaries tend to always maintain their roads better and faster than the city. So if you're near Mount Pleasant, or there's a big one in North York etc etc.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i used to the bridge to 10k. the plan started either at the end of c25k or from the couch.
  • jelleigh
    Options
    its_cleo wrote: »
    I'm in Toronto and have run outside all winter. It depends where you are. Where I am they do the sidewalks pretty quickly.

One tip- cemetaries tend to always maintain their roads better and faster than the city. So if you're near Mount Pleasant, or there's a big one in North York etc etc.

Wow cool I didnt know that! Thanks!

I'm right near the Don Valley so I typically do those trails since i dont love running on busy roads.
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do avoid the trails most of the winter bc they do get icy. But I find the sidewalks ok, or if all else fails the cemetaries. I also only run 2x week so I can pick days that are clear.

Also running in the winter- you dont get hot and dehydrated. If the ground is ok I love it. I hate feeling like I'm gonna die of thirst running in 30c in July and sweating buckets.

Also when everyone is bundled up and scared of the weather and I go for a run- I feel like a rock star lol.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think it's doable. With a quick Google search, I was able to find many Zero to 10K plans. I've seen them from 8-12 weeks. I do think you'll have to take a walk/run approach, but see what you can do.

While running outdoors is ideal, it's perfectly okay to train indoors right now if that's what it takes to get started. I set the incline at 0.5 or 1 and do what I need to do.

For a 10K, if I am running for fun, I'll have my normal dinner the night before and a small snack before hand. If I'm running for time, I'll take a gel 15 minutes before. But, there is no need to carb load for a 10K.

Have fun and enjoy!