can anyone advise on sodium levels please?

Options
I have low blood pressure and in the past excess water intake has led to me feeling really ill, dizzy and faint. After a serious scare with it, I realised and I have added salt to food ever since. I love salty foods and probably eat too much of it. I want to cut down now, especially since I think I carry a lot of water weight. But how/where can you find out what the safe levels are? I know the food diary approximates, but it doesn't ask how much salt I add to food, so how can it be accurate?

Any advice on what a low blood pressure but quite bloated person should do about this?
Thanks

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    If this is something you've had medical issues with in the past, your physician would be the person to speak with about this.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The advice for a medical question is preferably "seek a professional, not the Internet". Most guidance for sodium is to eliminate excess and stay about 2,000-2,4000 mg/day for otherwise healthy people. That doesn't apply to those of us with BP issues. As for tracking, 1 Tsp = 2,300 mg Sodium. You could create an entry in Your Recipes for 1/4 Tsp, only enter 575 in the Sodium box, then add as many 1/4 Tsps as you need for each meal.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. @YellowD0gs - that's really useful info.