How much time do you spend strength training?

Options
For those of you focused on toning/strengthening: how much time do you spend on weight training?

My current workout is:
-15 min. of cardio to warm up followed by 1 hour to1 hour and 15 min of full body strength training on MON/WED/FRI
- 1 hour of cardio on TUES/THURS/SAT

Wondering if I should spread out strength training/increase or decrease as I am looking to lose inches in addition to lbs.

SW on JAN. 6/202 : 215 LBS.
CW: 192 LBS.
GW:150

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My lifting generally takes about 35 min. I do full body twice a week. I do my cardio in separate workouts
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I do 24 mins cardio and 1 hour of full body weight lifting M-F and just Cardio on Sat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I run a full body free weight program on Sunday and Wednesday that take me about 40-45 minutes. I workout with a trainer and my wife every other Friday and that is 60 minutes.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I do glute focused full body training 4x per week, it usually takes 35-45 min not including warmup. No cardio for me right now, but typically 1-2x per week on the other days, 15-30min moderate intensity.

I would also recommend following a program if not already and focusing on strength training if your goal is to retain/build muscle and strength. If you find your cardio is interfering with your lifting recovery and progress you might want to do more steady state or cut it down.
  • SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I do 40-50mins lifting with a 20-30 sec rest in btw sets. Cardio is extra 20mins intense before or after lifting. I lift only 5 days a week off on weekends. I Work each body part twice a week.

I lift heavy one week and light another alternating. On heavy week, my reps are 6 -10 reps (4 sets) and light weeks my reps are 15-20 reps (3 sets) or higher depending on the particular exercise. After 6-8 weeks I do take a week off from lifting.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics every day. Push ups and Squats. (Good for a male, suggest you research the right full body weight exercises for female)

High Intensity cardio for 20 min twice a week after which I lift moderately for 35 - 55 minutes.

Diet is the key though. If you are eating too much you will not see the muscles you are building. But don't starve you still have to fuel the muscle development. Muscle burns fat after your cardio.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Usually 12 hours per week in the gym lifting
    That’s about it
  • mim619
    mim619 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm running focused. I do a full body circuit Tues and Fri about 45 min each. And run on Mon, Wed, Thurs, Saturday. My goal is to run marathons, not power lift. Your goals determine how much is enough.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    30-35minutes 3x per week.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    This week ends a 3 day full-body progressive lifting program, so about 6-8 hours a week. Next week, I may change to a 4-day program or repeat the 3-day program. It depends on my evening/weekend work schedule (which I am still waiting on :# )
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I do 10 minutes of cardio as warmup and the SL5x5 program (45-60 minutes) on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday. Sometimes I follow with 10 more minutes of cardio if I'm waiting for my gym partner to finish.

I often do an hour of cardio on Saturday.

SW March 2019: 272
    CW today: 198
    Waist Inches lost: Around 10
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    4 full body hypertrophy workouts a week. about 75 mins apiece.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Not enough in my case.......about 90 min a week, the rest of time is sunning, biking,rowing etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Varies but on average.....
    3 x 60 - 70 minute sessions a week mostly upper body and core focussed as I also cycle 6hrs a week so legs don't get a lot of work in the gym.

"Wondering if I should spread out strength training/increase or decrease" - don't see how people can answer this without knowing what you are actually doing in the time you spend, your fitness goals, your capabilities or restrictions.
    Losing "lbs and inches" is primarily down to a calorie deficit not how long you spend in the gym
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    None. I *kitten* hate lifting, so I've decided to quit fighting it, adjust my goals/expectations for myself, and worry more about doing the things I enjoy and being better at the things I want to do (cycling, running, basketball, hiking).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Slightly under 30 minutes 2-3x per week. I almost solely stick to the basic compound lifts, 3 sets of 5.

Enough that I'm happy with my muscle definition and increased strength outside the gym.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Mine wouldn't be relative to you because we have different goals and are different people in general.

Follow your program. If you are unable to recover adequately for you next session or time is a factor...either find a different program or start practicing redesigning the template to fit your needs.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and I do full body weight training 2-3 times a week . Spend about 30-40 min total with little rest between sets and that is plenty for me to get a killer workout. I also do at least 30-45 min of cardio every day...on my non lifting days, I do chin ups and push ups and finish with cardio. I'm pleased with how my body is developing..I don't life overly heavy and I don't have to lift for a long time to get good results.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    . (nevermind -misread the time divisions)