What sorcery is this?

Options
Anyone ever step on the scale in the morning, get your number, then go use the restroom, come back expecting to see a lower number, but you've actually gained weight?

This happens all of the time to me. I would assume that my scale is not accurate, however, when I don't use the restroom and re-weigh myself within a few minutes, the weight is consistent. It's only inconsistent, it seems, after having used the restroom.

giphy.gif

Replies

• George_of_the_Jungle
    George_of_the_Jungle Posts: 3,316 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever step on the scale in the morning, get your number, then go use the restroom, come back expecting to see a lower number, but you've actually gained weight?

This happens all of the time to me. I would assume that my scale is not accurate, however, when I don't use the restroom and re-weigh myself within a few minutes, the weight is consistent. It's only inconsistent, it seems, after having used the restroom.

giphy.gif

My scale reads +3lbs the first time you step on it in the morning. Step off and wait for the display to dim, then it reads 3lbs lower every time. I discovered this doing the same experiment you speak of. I was shocked for a long time at a 3lb loss after a wee bit of wee.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The gif is broken on my machine.

Anyway: Run-of-the mill digital scales have an accuracy of about +/- .25lb. They have a display resolution of .1lb which exceeds their accuracy. (Some scales don't report in .1lb increments, but many do.)

It would annoy some people if you stepped on and off and got a different value every time, although this would be entirely reasonable given the above specs. So, many scales remember the most recent value and pick it preferentially unless your weight has change by more than the accuracy spec. Now you will see exactly the same weight if you weigh yourself multiple times in a row, making you feel like your scale is accurate to within it's resolution of .1lb.

To test your scale, try weighing yourself with and without something that weighs more than a pound (like a big shampoo bottle). Does it return to the same value every time you put the bottle down? (Mine doesn't.)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Fluid fluctuations
  • bidingmytime
    bidingmytime Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love it anytime anyone uses that gif.

And I only weigh myself once a day. Keeping it simple, one day at a time.

Yes, great gif.
    My scale reads +3lbs the first time you step on it in the morning. Step off and wait for the display to dim, then it reads 3lbs lower every time. I discovered this doing the same experiment you speak of. I was shocked for a long time at a 3lb loss after a wee bit of wee.

Yes, mine, too. However, my issue was that I'd weigh *more* after the initial weigh-in from going to the restroom. That's my conundrum.

Anyway: Run-of-the mill digital scales have an accuracy of about +/- .25lb. They have a display resolution of .1lb which exceeds their accuracy. (Some scales don't report in .1lb increments, but many do.)

It would annoy some people if you stepped on and off and got a different value every time, although this would be entirely reasonable given the above specs. So, many scales remember the most recent value and pick it preferentially unless your weight has change by more than the accuracy spec. Now you will see exactly the same weight if you weigh yourself multiple times in a row, making you feel like your scale is accurate to within it's resolution of .1lb.

To test your scale, try weighing yourself with and without something that weighs more than a pound (like a big shampoo bottle). Does it return to the same value every time you put the bottle down? (Mine doesn't.)

Wow, that's actually really insightful and helpful. Thank you for that. Makes a lot of sense now as to why this happens.
    Yes.

Glad I'm not the only one! :smile:
    Fluid fluctuations

Yes, just strange that I'd release liquid, then suddenly have *more* in me when I'd weigh in the second time.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Ok I have actually tested this many times and I'm glad I'm not alone! People think I'm crazy. Lol
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Taking that the scale could be off each time. Why would it always go up and not just be more random up or down?
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Mine does exactly the same thing. I always just stick one foot on it first to get some random reading before reseting and actually stepping on it.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I love it anytime anyone uses that gif.

And I only weigh myself once a day. Keeping it simple, one day at a time.

I love the good Captain.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Even after, we expel urine & feces via our body, there's still some that remains within us. My guess' that due to gravity moving what remains along thereafter, the motion within us' equivalent to moving the scale outta place.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    When you use the toilet, you weight definitely goes down. The only excuse for your scale showing it as higher is if it has changed, but it is still with the scale's margin of error (typ +/- .25lbs). Anyway, if you don't trust your scale, because it is doing weird things (such as you describe), buy a new one. I have this one, for example (cost<$20).

EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale with Extra Large Lighted Display, Free Body Tape Measure Included
    by Amazon.com
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_W0RvEb80XK0FF

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    @bidingmytime totally OT, but your avatar is from the book about a little girl with anemia who becomes a ballerina, right? I don’t remember the name, but my parents gave it to me when I was a little kid with anemia.

I LOVED that book!
  • bidingmytime
    bidingmytime Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When you use the toilet, you weight definitely goes down. The only excuse for your scale showing it as higher is if it has changed, but it is still with the scale's margin of error (typ +/- .25lbs). Anyway, if you don't trust your scale, because it is doing weird things (such as you describe), buy a new one. I have this one, for example (cost<$20).

EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale with Extra Large Lighted Display, Free Body Tape Measure Included
    by Amazon.com
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_W0RvEb80XK0FF

Thank you for the recommendation! Yeah, scales can be quite strange!
    @bidingmytime totally OT, but your avatar is from the book about a little girl with anemia who becomes a ballerina, right? I don’t remember the name, but my parents gave it to me when I was a little kid with anemia.

I LOVED that book!

Honestly, I do not know! I just found the picture online and liked it. I'll have to look up that book though!