Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Sub 10% Body Fat

2»

Replies

• KHMcGKHMcG Posts: 210Member Member Posts: 210Member Member
    No problem :D - good job on your transformation too! How long did this actually take you?[/quote]

The short answer is 4 years. Looking back the first 2 were all excersise focussed. The last two were balanced, healthy eating and exercise. It was the last two where the biggest gains happened.

Year 1 lost 5 lbs
    Year 2 lost 5 more
    Year 3 lost 15 lbs
    (fat loss started the day after I went caloric deficit)
    Year 4 lost 5 more

started at 205 lbs with high cholesterol.
    4 years and 2 months later I'm at 173 lbs, no more cholesterol and a bf of 11%.

25 years ago when I got married I was 155 lbs @ 6% bf. There is no way I will ever be that again. If I can hit 168 lbs at just under 10% I would declare the journey complete and pick a new objective. Example add an inch to my shoulders.
  • CoreyLustCoreyLust Posts: 42Member, Premium Member Posts: 42Member, Premium Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    No problem :D - good job on your transformation too! How long did this actually take you?

The short answer is 4 years. Looking back the first 2 were all excersise focussed. The last two were balanced, healthy eating and exercise. It was the last two where the biggest gains happened.

Year 1 lost 5 lbs
    Year 2 lost 5 more
    Year 3 lost 15 lbs
    (fat loss started the day after I went caloric deficit)
    Year 4 lost 5 more

started at 205 lbs with high cholesterol.
    4 years and 2 months later I'm at 173 lbs, no more cholesterol and a bf of 11%.

25 years ago when I got married I was 155 lbs @ 6% bf. There is no way I will ever be that again. If I can hit 168 lbs at just under 10% I would declare the journey complete and pick a new objective. Example add an inch to my shoulders.
    [/quote]

Well done man!
    Stood on an Tanita body fat scale today. 11%. I will take that as confirmation my caliper measurement is not bad. Last Caliper 11.46%
  • scorpio516scorpio516 Posts: 941Member Member Posts: 941Member Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    FWIW, from my experience and from what I've read, I believe that sub-10% BF for men is sub-optimal for one's health.

Nah, it's sub 5% to 6% that is dangerous for men. I was at 6% all through high school and college. 6'-0" 138lbs.
    You're both right. I'm 48 years old and apparently below 10% at my age is not considered healthy.
  • watts6151watts6151 Posts: 587Member, Premium Member Posts: 587Member, Premium Member
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    FWIW, from my experience and from what I've read, I believe that sub-10% BF for men is sub-optimal for one's health.

Nah, it's sub 5% to 6% that is dangerous for men. I was at 6% all through high school and college. 6'-0" 138lbs.

For a lot of men staying under a genuine 10%bf for prolonged periods can reduce
    Test levels, libido, thyroid etc

If your genetically very lean then that’s different,
    I'm getting there. 10.5% today.

Just being consistent and patient. Eating 1600 - 1800 calories and calisthenics daily (Pushups and Squats). Strength training 3 times per week and cardio 4 times. Cardio is not crazy. 15 to 40 minutes depending on the type. This weekend is swimming and rowing.

wnd3fj12vo42.jpg

edited March 15
    zmznirfjq16e.jpg

UPDATE OK so I'm at the same weight 173 but have gained a bit of size on the quads and biceps. Not noticeable by the naked eye. Sitting at 10.4 % but perhaps a slight improvement in definition.

I'm still enjoying one cheat meal a week and hovering at 1500 - 1800 calories daily. With limited access to cardio (its still winter where I live) I may have to tighten down the cheat day to hit my goal.
    edited March 25
  • ChieflrgChieflrg Posts: 8,212Member Member Posts: 8,212Member Member
    This is really good. Thanks for the feedback. I have a few barriers that are making it challenging. At 48 yrs old I don't want to lift too heavy and I am not willing to eat my b/w in protien. I am currently eating 1/3 - 1/2 my bw in protien and staying caloric deficient. I did reduce my cardio to 2x per week. Cardio was hampering my gains.

I don't plan to maintain sub 10%. It is just my target when I started this transition journey.

"Lifting heavy" is a generic term and describes nothing specific to your goal.

I would suggest using a template that you respond to sensitively that utilizes appropriate intensity that brings you very close to failure(1 or 2 reps ). One that you recover from enough to progress and has auto regulation. Rest breaks aboutv1-2min at most.

So heavy isn't actually a goal, recruiting as many muscle motors is.

As far as protien. You need more protien now for several reasons.

1. In a caloric deficit, you need more protien now to retain muscle than if you were in a surplus trying to produce muscle.
    2. At your age, we start to have a problem with atrophy. We become less efficient using protein to achieve MPS which helps prevent atrophy.

We combat this with more protien and better quality protien at that.

Unless you are enhanced and even then you probably are doing your goal a disservice by eating so low protien.

edited March 25
  • TinaZ2018TinaZ2018 Posts: 127Member, Premium Member Posts: 127Member, Premium Member

UPDATE OK so I'm at the same weight 173 but have gained a bit of size on the quads and biceps. Not noticeable by the naked eye. Sitting at 10.4 % but perhaps a slight improvement in definition.

I'm still enjoying one cheat meal a week and hovering at 1500 - 1800 calories daily. With limited access to cardio (its still winter where I live) I may have to tighten down the cheat day to hit my goal.

Oh how beautifully those jeans 'hang' on your hips putting those abs in the spotlight. Amazing progress! You are an inspiration!