Fitbit and stair treadmill

Options
How do you get an accurate reading doing the stair treadmill? The closest so far is letting my arm swing when stepping (how it naturally does, just feel stupid doing this). I've been putting it on my ankle with a velcro strap but also like monitoring my heart rate. It counted one step out of 210 flights of stairs yesterday. I get steps but not calories burned for obvious reasons. I tried the stair treadmill setting and got 35 steps for 25 flights of stairs. I don't need it to be 100% correct, just am curious what it says about calories burned as it's not counting the exertion from busting my butt racing to beat my stairs climbed. It's a lot better on my bike with the ankle but again the heart rate isn't monitored.

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you feel stupid doing the natural arm swing motion while climbing stairs?

Logically, if you're not supposed to hold on while walking on a treadmill, because you're bracing, rather than doing the *work* for yourself, then you probably shouldn't be holding on while using this machine, either. And what else would you do with your arms than swing them naturally?
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I would try the combo of setting the exercise and letting at least that one arm swing. That's basically what I do on the treadmill (although I only hold on in certain situations). Usually nobody is paying attention to anyone else at the gym, so don't worry about how it looks.

On a side note, I've become expert at pushing a shopping cart with one arm so I don't miss out on steps at the grocery store!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    When I did the stairs I just let my left hand hang down. I didn’t intentionally swing. I just avoided resting it on the bars. You can add stair mill as cardio in the Fitbit app for more accuracy on calories burned.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you feel stupid doing the natural arm swing motion while climbing stairs?

Logically, if you're not supposed to hold on while walking on a treadmill, because you're bracing, rather than doing the *work* for yourself, then you probably shouldn't be holding on while using this machine, either. And what else would you do with your arms than swing them naturally?

I don't brace myself as I can't lean over like some people do but loosely put my thumb and finger around the bars as I've had multiple back surgeries and have nerve damage in my feet so sometimes I'll either miss the step or overshoot and get my foot pinched. I'll go back to letting my arm swing and keep one hand available for stumbles. Thanks everyone!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I've become expert at pushing a shopping cart with one arm so I don't miss out on steps at the grocery store!

Me too!!!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    I would try the combo of setting the exercise and letting at least that one arm swing. That's basically what I do on the treadmill (although I only hold on in certain situations). Usually nobody is paying attention to anyone else at the gym, so don't worry about how it looks.

Oh no, didn't even think of it not logging steps when pushing a cart and I've been walking all over when at the store lately!

I'm not worried about people looking at me, just felt like I may have been trying too hard to get steps.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    It's a lot better on my bike with the ankle but again the heart rate isn't monitored.

Cycling isn't taking steps - two completely different motions.
    Pretty pointless wearing a step counter on your ankle while cycling - whatever data you are trying to get can be done in much better ways than this.