Healthy Recipe's

Options
Hello I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a cook book that they might have found helpful. I want to learn how to cook to help with my weight loss. I have noticed that when I eat unhealthy foods it's usually when there isn't any alternative but if I can cook I can just whip up a healthy meal. I do have experience cooking not much but i know my way around a kitchen.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I have tons of cookbooks, but if I could only have one, it would be my first and favorite, "The Joy of Cooking." I don't know where you are located, but my library system here in the US carries it. I like to try cookbooks before I buy them.

While I can confidently recommend the JOC to anyone for learning to cook, brushing up on skills, or just great recipes, since it doesn't necessarily focus on meals, it may be helpful to keep the principles of Chose My Plate in mind - protein, grains/starch, vegetable, and fruit.
    • Lots of low calorie veggies helps fill me up for less calories than other foods.
    • Fruit is lower in calorie than other sweets I might want, liked baked goods.

myplate_blue.jpg
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and Joy of Cooking are two great ones to start with. Also, ask friends or family who cook to teach you some basic recipes or skills. And practice. Like everything else, you don't become a great cook overnight. If something doesn't turn out well, don't give up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I practically have a library of cookbooks and frankly I rarely use them. I primarily use Pinterest.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I like Loony Spoons.

But mostly I just google stuff.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste website has some simple recipes on it and other more in depth ones
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    We use Allrecipes web site. Not exactly a cookbook, but you can search by ingredients and get some ideas, plus there are reviews.
  • nasr25
    nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recommendations I will look into them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I practically have a library of cookbooks and frankly I rarely use them. I primarily use Pinterest.

To add to this, I've collected books over the years...most of them I purchased before smart phones and apps and whatnot. I love books and the feel of a book, but it's so much more convenient when I'm cooking to just click on Pinterest and then click on the recipe and bam...there it is on my screen. And the variety of things you can find is incredible.

I have a couple of books that I still use once in awhile for kind of odd ball things...like I have Jimmy Buffett's cookbook for stuff they make at the Margaritaville restaurants and such. Plus I'm just a big fan so I will buy pretty much anything JB related...my wife actually got that for me for father's day a couple years ago.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    We use Allrecipes web site. Not exactly a cookbook, but you can search by ingredients and get some ideas, plus there are reviews.

Yes, I like Allrecipes.com and subscribe to their emails for inspiration. I prefer how JOC formats recipes, so will often check to see if something I got from AR is available in my Joy.

I do love Allrecipes.com ingredients search feature.

I always read the reviews and look for trends, for example, sometimes the consensus will be that the recipe is too salty, too bland, or the cooking time is wrong, etc.
  • shrinkingweez
    shrinkingweez Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of cookbooks, but I have a particular fondness for the Hairy Dieters series of cookbooks. They were (and still are) the Hairy Bikers who transitioned into healthy eating, lost a load of weight between them, and their recipes are great with weights and calories included.

I also enjoy Pinch of Nom, everyday light, which is 400 recipes under 400 calories.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Pinterest will get you a great variety and you can save things in one place - I have everyday eats and more elaborate stuff separate. I would also recommend Joy of Cooking where you can get the basics and also the fancies.

Also check out Skinnytaste! Skinny Ms is another that has some good recipe options but interspersed with a lot of other junk.
  • aayudinova
    aayudinova Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love going to this website for delicious and healthy ideas:
    Minimalistbaker.com
    Enjoy!