What is the best way to lose weight with xenical/orlistat?

Options
Hi,

I have been prescribed xenical by the doctors.

I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to lose weight wtih xenical or orlistat? Or are there any success stories out there?

Thanks.

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    The effectiveness of orlistat in promoting weight loss is definite, though modest
    Orlistat is notorious for its gastrointestinal side effects (sometimes referred to as treatment effects), which can include steatorrhea (oily, loose stools).

Think I will stick with eatting at a deficit and exercise. Good luck to you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Your doctor prescribed you something and didn't explain how to best use it?

Step 1: new doctor.
    Step 2: buy depends of cheap undies, your no. 1 side effect is anal leakage.

If you're going to use it, read up on it - NOT on its promo sites but on independent medical sites which have the facts, not the sales pitches.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    oops, double.
  • melanieell07
    Options
    Don't eat food with a lot of fat, it works but you want to stay close to a bathroom
  • juicylucy11
    Options
    I used xenical but lost practically nothing in weight due to the fact that my diet wasn't particularly fatty. It was still a messy thing to use and not something I'd ever go back to. Not pleasant. Really just balls down to eating the right amount of calories and plenty of exercise unfortunately!

Or stress :)
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight... My best advice. Bin the xenical. I did about 3 months on it and the leakage was so bad i was scared to work out and that was with a pretty low fat diet. I think i lost around 14lb in a 3 month period with it. Tho i have achieved that by using this site and exercise without the xenical. Good luck however you decide to go forward but the side effects are horrific!
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I took Xanical twice. The bathroom experience afterwards was unpleasent. Very unpleasent.
    If you eat very high fat meals 3 times a day, I'm sure this will stop the fat being absorbed.
    But you will spend your life sitting on a bin liner.
    Better option is certainly diet initially and gentle exercise if you can manage it.
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the information and suggestions :)
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Your doctor prescribed you something and didn't explain how to best use it?

Step 1: new doctor.
    Step 2: buy depends of cheap undies, your no. 1 side effect is anal leakage.

If you're going to use it, read up on it - NOT on its promo sites but on independent medical sites which have the facts, not the sales pitches.

Could not have put it better myself.

Sorry to be negative but although I did loose weight using this drug the side effects were like nothing I have ever exsperienced and yes, I did keep my fat intake low. Please just go on normal low fat diet & do this slow, hoenestly if you take these be prpared to spend lots of time at home because when it comes out you have no warning at all, I wont go into details.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Nice resurection of a 2 month old thread to post something completely irrelevant to the original topic and spruik yourself.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Eeewwww to anal leakage....
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I suggest you wear a diaper with either of those.

Good luck!
  • sweetkat75
    Options
    the weight loss also tapers off and then you can't lose any more. its too expensive for so little results. Was on it for a year, quit it in March and while experimenting what my 'tdee' was...i gained quite a bit. Hard lesson for me to learn, i went up past my starting weight on here...and now I have found what works for me caloric and exercise wise and having steady weight loss based on my own efforts and not that of medication.
  • Sarah_Bear1977
    Options
    Hi,

I have been prescribed xenical by the doctors.

I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to lose weight wtih xenical or orlistat? Or are there any success stories out there?

Thanks.

My advise would be... be careful! The idea with Orlistat is that you can only eat 5g of fat per meal. If you eat more than that you get most definitely get oily stools which, believe me, is decidedly unpleasant!

I was on it for around 8 months a few years ago and did really well with it - I lost nearly 3 stone - but you are pretty restricted with what you can eat because of the side effects.

I am really surprised that your doctor didn't go through everything with you. When I was put on it I was given loads of support from my doctor and from the company that make Orlistat. I would definitely be going back to my doctor to get more information.