Breads and Grains

Options
13»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, lovely bread in all it's delicious forms.
    I certainly don't consider it to be empty calories, I often get whole grain and seeded varieties, rye bread etc.

Oats always for breakfast, lunch often features bulghar wheat, pearl barley, cous cous, sometimes flat bread, or bread rolls. Dinner is more likely to include potato, sometimes other root veg.

You just need to fit in what you like and works for you. Other people talk about fitting in fast food or soda, I don't care for those things so am not bothered. But no-one will convince me to give up bread :)

Oooh, a rhye bread with a thick, hard crust. Or a fresh French baguette with good butter and a thick slab of local ham. It's heaven! <3
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,000 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I eat 200-300 carbs daily , most of which is Popcorn! :smile: Whole grain goodness. (and yes, I usually eat whole grain bread at least once a day.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cobalt108 wrote: »
    I try to stay away from bread and other processed carbohydrates as much as possible. Anything that is ‘empty’ calories.
    I do like steel cut oats, but every day and susually only in winter.
    If your concerned about daily limit, I’d try to go for whatever has most bang for your nutritional buck. For example, I still crave pita with my hummus. Instead of getting regular pita I go for Joseph’s. It comes in mini pita sizes, is lower carbs and higher protein with flax and other good stuff in there. It helps me kind of bridge the gap.
    If you can’t/don’t want to give up bread then I’d say 1-2 servings a week or just holidays/special occasions and have it in the morning only.

The bread I eat has fiber and vitamins. I'm not sure how you define that as "empty calories."