CrossFit for bodybuilding?

Options
Thoughts? I doubt it’s effective for that goal but if it gets you moving, cool.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. Can you build a great physique with CrossFit? Absolutely. Can you develop the proper balance of hypertrophy and specific muscle building in a time effective way to compete on stage, maybe not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    Thoughts? I doubt it’s effective for that goal but if it gets you moving, cool.

Actual bodybuilding...no. You can develop a nice physique doing CF, but it is pretty sub optimal for hypertrophy and actually putting on significant amounts of muscle...ie bodybuilding.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "I doubt it’s effective for that goal" - agreed.

"but if it gets you moving, cool" - agree an exercise that motivates you is a good thing, but is your goal to get moving or do you want to become a bodybuilder?

Do you really mean specifically bodybuilding or are you using the term in a more generic way?
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "I doubt it’s effective for that goal" - agreed.

"but if it gets you moving, cool" - agree an exercise that motivates you is a good thing, but is your goal to get moving or do you want to become a bodybuilder?

Do you really mean specifically bodybuilding or are you using the term in a more generic way?

I suppose more generic. I would like muscles!! No worries, I think I have the basics down: lifting progrAm progressive, cal surplus, good sleep (ish) :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Either hypertrophy or strength it is low on the rung of choices.

It might be beneficial for those who are untrained on a short term basis. If that is your jam and would adhere to it compared to other choices on a long term basis, I have no issues.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Some of the best physiques I have ever seen I've seen in a Crossfit gym, not a regular gym.
    There is a gym near me called Crossfit Galvanize. I swear, the bodies in there in the morning look like the Spartans in '300.'
    And, I don't mean just a few people in there. I mean a lot of people in there.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Some of the best physiques I have ever seen I've seen in a Crossfit gym, not a regular gym.
    There is a gym near me called Crossfit Galvanize. I swear, the bodies in there in the morning look like the Spartans in '300.'
    And, I don't mean just a few people in there. I mean a lot of people in there.

There are some great CrossFit physiques but I think many of those folk also go some serious hypertrophy type training as well as the CrossFit stuff.