Would you determin this to be exercise???

Options
I work in a deli at a grocery store. I'm on my feet from 9-5. thats 480mins. It's a past passed job but there are times when I would be just standing around. How can I configure this into my workout journal under the exercise portion? I typed in 'standing' and all that popped up was 'fishing on the bank standing'. So I should have burned 1400 calories but that doesn't seem right

Replies

• bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When you calculate your goals, choose Lightly Active to describe your normal daily activities and MFP figures in those calories automatically, so you don't put it in your exercise diary 'cause the system already figures that in. HTH.
  • Garrettsmom
    Garrettsmom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Is standing exercise?
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Now I would consider this exercise if you are like the ladies I see at my local deli. They are standing the whole time but they are also lifting. They are the ones who get the meats/cheeses etc out of the cooler to stock the deli. How to calculate I have no clue sorry.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I would go with the recommendation to put your status to "lightly active" and only count exercises as those you do purposefully as a work out. If not, you could over-estimate calories burned and slow your progress.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No, it's not exercise. "Standing around" barely qualifies as "activity".
  • willis84
    willis84 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    to clairify, I am hardly ever just standing around. Always moving and lifting heavy objects
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Lightly active, for sure. If you do it everyday, it's part of your lifestyle so you wouldn't count it as exercise.
  • tarajake
    tarajake Posts: 6
    Options
    I wouldn't count this as exercise either. It is your lifestyle and should already be accounted for in the daily calories figured by the program.