High LDT levels(bad cholesterol)

Options
Hi guys. I know you can’t respond to everyone who in this community but I’m hoping u can take a minute to read this❤️ Currently I’m 32 years old. Back history from 24-30 I suffered with a terrible eating disorder. When I turned 30 I wanted to start a family so badly and know I needed to get help. I worked with a nutrition coach for about 2 years and did reverse dieting slowly adding calories back into my diet. Due to financial reasons I could not continue it was over 200$ a month. I’m not an exercise person. In the summer I tend to be more active so we left my macros at 95g protein, 68fat and 150 carbs. I an 5’4” 114 lbs. well I have not gotten a physical in forever. Got one recently and my cholesterol total was 202 which is high and my ldt was also high at 105. Do u think I’m eating too much fat. I do eat at least try and eat clean with the exception of treats and weekends tend to be more laxed. Thanks Guys. Any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated 😉❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Replies

• sarah8352
    sarah8352 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I haven’t spoken to the doctor yet. Friday is my appointment so I will know then.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    High cholesterol can be caused by too much saturated fat in the diet, as well as other health issues and sometimes genetics, I am 5’4” and about 124 and my cholesterol when tested lat fall was also about 200. Talk to your doc about what to do. I’ve drastically lowered my saturated fat intake, but not cuz my doc said to do it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,729 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Your calories most certainly don't scream too much.

Your fats in isolation don't scream too much.

Your fats as a percentage seem to be on the higher as opposed to lower end of most recommendations but that's because you seem to be keeping your carbs at "relative low for maintenance" levels.

I mean if you're deliberately trying to setup a lower carb, higher fat and higher protein diet, which is what your percentages look like... well, whatever you take out of carbs has to come from fat and protein. Which may not be ideal if your body is not happy with higher dietary cholesterol or you're not optimizing the fats (and protein sources) you're taking in.

You didn't mention exercise and with an ED background and with the low calories indicated by your macros I hesitate to mention it as it cannot be undertaken without adding in enough extra energy to fuel it. Some moderate exercise may help control cholesterol. But again, not if you don't compensate for it with sufficient energy intake.

It looks to me that you may want to consider adding a goodly amount of extra carbs and calories into your continuing reverse diet...

You're still just under BMI 20, and many healthy pregnancy and remission from ED discussions START at BMI 20...

:heart:
  • sarah8352
    sarah8352 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tried exercising but I hate to be that person that says I don’t have time. But I literally don’t have time. On the weekends I do like to go outside for walks and such and def a little more active in the summer. I was thinking about just switching the numbers around and staying consistent with the macros for now and adding more carbs and lowering fat?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    sarah8352 wrote: »
    I was thinking about just switching the numbers around and staying consistent with the macros for now and adding more carbs and lowering fat?

My doctor says eating low-carb reduces LDL cholesterol, and some studies on PubMed seem to agree. Ask your Dr. if you're unsure.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,729 Member
    Options
    You don't need to avoid increasing calories. So any increase in carbs does not need to be compensated.

We don't know if your cholesterol levels are affected/controlled by what you eat. So the quantity of fats may or may not be an issue.

Furthermore, your fat intake in grams does not appear particularly high as an absolute number. It is only somewhat high as a percentage because your total caloric intake is currently quite low as it does not look as if you've fully completed your reverse diet. The types of fats you eat (saturated for example, or worse any trans fats) may be contributing to the issue if they are higher than they should be.

Moderate walking *is* considered exercise in terms of meeting weekly exercise recommendations. Exercise and activity does not have to be killer in order to have a benefit. Even getting up from your chair for a few minutes every hour is of appreciable benefit.

You do need to get some context for this issue from the person who has access to this and previous tests (your doctor).

While thinking about the issue is good, there is no need to jump the gun before you have full information...

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    sarah8352 wrote: »
    I tried exercising but I hate to be that person that says I don’t have time. But I literally don’t have time. On the weekends I do like to go outside for walks and such and def a little more active in the summer. I was thinking about just switching the numbers around and staying consistent with the macros for now and adding more carbs and lowering fat?

For your health, make time :)

I'm in Massachusetts and bundle up and walk at lunch time all winter long. (I do something indoors when it's raining.) My lunch time exercise makes me more productive and less prone to the afternoon munchies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The bigger issue is what you posted is only a small piece of the entire metabolic panel. Total cholesterol is effected by good cholesterol. High HDL will increase total cholesterol. In all reality, total cholesterol is not very meaningful. LDL is debatable. Some of the recent evidence doesn't support that LDL being linked to CVD or all cause mortality. Also to be fair, there are two types of LDL. Interesting enough LDL is estimated. Its only measured if your doctor gets a fractionated blood test.

I would ask you, what do your triglycerides, CRP, and fasting glucose look like? Do you have family history of diabetes, metabolic disease, or cvd disease?