Fitbit calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    CoreyLust wrote: »
    while mfp May overestimate calorie burns for some exercises, that’s not universally true nor is the mfp exercise database the only mechanism through which to estimate calorie burns.

And who said this?
    I am a runner and run anywhere from 0 to 60 miles a week. Due to such tremendous variation in calorie burn from week to week-a TDEE method is a terrible idea for me.

Not to sure what that has to do with this thread... Nonetheless what exactly do you mean by a 'TDEE method?'

That was in reply to your vague comment that suggested [my previous comment] would be wise since mfp isn’t good at estimating “this”.

My previous comment was about a using what is typically referred to as a TDEE method (for estimating calorie intake rather than MFP’s built-in NEAT + exercise method).

I assumed your “this” and “that” were in reference to the comments to which you replied.

My mistake.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

a process many of us have used to great success doesn't actually work. Cool.

Define 'many'. In contrast to what? I would hazard a guess there is more people that aren't successful or I wouldn't have a job.

My statement from the start was that MFP doesn't do the best job at estimating TDEE. And I stand by that. You are the one who decided to start an 'argument'.

Just because something works for 'some' doesn't mean it will work for all.

If using the MFP data allows someone to achieve their goals great. Surely my point that in order to calculate an accurate TDEE more questions need to be asked is obvious by now. If MFP just happens to fall across a calorie intake number that actually matches up to what you require and allows you to achieve your goal.

Well that is just dumb luck.

Have you checked the Success Stories section? I mean-for just some of the successful people? Maybe you’ll get lucky and find one or two?

Have you asked about the success of the people in this thread?

Have you bothered yet to figure out how mfp establishes a calorie goal (hint: it’s not TDEE)?

Mfp works remarkably well when used as intended. Really it works as well as any other calculator including whatever questions you’re asking. Perhaps even better than most calculators and questions that assume a consistent level of activity.

But maybe it all exclusively dumb luck.
  • EatThePopcorn
    EatThePopcorn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've read is to eat half the exercise calories back. The weeks I've done that, I've felt full with a decent amount of energy and have also met my weight loss goal to a "T".

If I don't eat back around half of my exercise calories I feel sluggish a day or two later.

If I eat back all of them I end up not meeting my weight loss goals.

It's good to take your activity into account when deciding how much to eat, don't be too strict on yourself because then you lose energy and become less active which slows down everything.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    while mfp May overestimate calorie burns for some exercises, that’s not universally true nor is the mfp exercise database the only mechanism through which to estimate calorie burns.

And who said this?
    I am a runner and run anywhere from 0 to 60 miles a week. Due to such tremendous variation in calorie burn from week to week-a TDEE method is a terrible idea for me.

Not to sure what that has to do with this thread... Nonetheless what exactly do you mean by a 'TDEE method?'

That was in reply to your vague comment that suggested [my previous comment] would be wise since mfp isn’t good at estimating “this”.

My previous comment was about a using what is typically referred to as a TDEE method (for estimating calorie intake rather than MFP’s built-in NEAT + exercise method).

I assumed your “this” and “that” were in reference to the comments to which you replied.

My mistake.

By 'this' I was referring to calculating TDEE using alternative methods as opposed to letting myfitnesspal calculate this for you. However you are describing something, not sure what, as being a 'TDEE method'.

There is no such thing. This just sounds like a blanket term you have made up to describe using a method to calculate TDEE. This is very vague.

Please provide one single reference where anybody with any credibility in this industry, or any scientific research that has ever referred to any method for calculating TDEE as 'TDEE method'.

There is many methods.

None are 'typically', as you have said, referred to as 'TDEE methods'.

This statement is extremely vague.

This is not so much a question of scientific terminology as it is of just normal English language. "TDEE method" = method utilizing TDEE.

The remarks that provoked this odd side branch about "TDEE method" seem to be these:
    While as a general rule I wholeheartedly endorse this, I am thinking that OP (or someone else reading this who is looking to do the same thing) may be using a TDEE method of calculating a calorie goal (including exercise at the front end).

Some people use a so-called "TDEE calculator" outside of MFP to get a base calorie estimate, and subtract a percentage or flat number of calories to derive a daily calorie goal. They manually input that goal into MFP, rather than letting MFP caculate a goal for them. Because TDEE averages planned intentional exercise into the daily calorie estimate, those people then do not separately log exercise. This would, in simple English, be the "TDEE method".

That is not the method that MFP is designed for, but MFP can be used that way.

MFP's help information and instructions make it reasonably clear that intentional exercise is not included in the base calorie goal it calculates for its users. Rather, daily life activity (occupation and other necessities) are what should be considered when chosing an "activity level" in one's profile. Essentially, MFP is estimating NEAT, and subtracting a flat number of calories based on target loss rate (but subject to certain minimums), to derive a starting calorie goal. It intends that one separately log intentional exercise (whether using MFP's MET-based estimates, or some other source), or sync a tracker to do a similar adjustment. In simple English, that's a "NEAT method", or others in this thread have used the term "MFP method". It is not based on average TDEE per se.

This is common terminology in the MFP forums, and I believe understood by most users who've been participating here for even a bit. If you look back through the thread, you'll see others contrasting approaches using TDEE to the "MFP method", an equivalent reference to "NEAT method" or referring to that distinction in other informal ways. In that context, it seems perfectly reasonable to say "typically referred to as TDEE method", i.e., typically used here in the MFP forums as a plain English term for the above-described process.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options

And who said this?

My mistake.

By 'this' I was referring to calculating TDEE using alternative methods as opposed to letting myfitnesspal calculate this for you. However you are describing something, not sure what, as being a 'TDEE method'.

There is no such thing. This just sounds like a blanket term you have made up to describe using a method to calculate TDEE. This is very vague.

Please provide one single reference where anybody with any credibility in this industry, or any scientific research that has ever referred to any method for calculating TDEE as 'TDEE method'.

There is many methods.

None are 'typically', as you have said, referred to as 'TDEE methods'.

This statement is extremely vague.

No one is using any terminology that isn’t commonplace in this community-the one you’ve descended upon spewing vitriol about its members and/or the tool itself in every single post you’ve made.

You must be a troll. No one is this unnecessarily antagonistic and confrontational without even making a tiny attempt to learn the norms of the community he’s attempting to become a part of unless their sole intention is to troll and create drama.

Too bad since you apparently know everything there is to know about everything.

Perhaps others are willing to continue to play with you but I’ve already done my time this life with toddlers.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've read is to eat half the exercise calories back. The weeks I've done that, I've felt full with a decent amount of energy and have also met my weight loss goal to a "T".

If I don't eat back around half of my exercise calories I feel sluggish a day or two later.

If I eat back all of them I end up not meeting my weight loss goals.

It's good to take your activity into account when deciding how much to eat, don't be too strict on yourself because then you lose energy and become less active which slows down everything.

Eating half is just a method some people use while they're determining how accurate the overall calorie burn estimate is. If someone is eating back half and still losing more than expected, then they'll known they need to eat more. So the advice isn't (or shouldn't be) "Eat back half," the advice should be to eat a fixed number (which may be half or 75% or even 100%), pay attention to results, and adjust from there.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @Duck_Puddle As a fellow runner, I am sure you're aware of the inadvisability of running 0 miles one week and 60 the next. I do take your meaning, that it would be inconvenient to recalculate TDEE every week based on expected mileage, but in general, when one is not training for a marathon or similar, there's not as much variation as you're trying to suggest.

Both TDEE and NEAT are valid, and I hadn't considered that OP might be trying to use MFP in that manner. She's got an open food diary, though - and the discrepancy between her goal and her Fitbit number suggests that either way, she's not fueling appropriately.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @Duck_Puddle As a fellow runner, I am sure you're aware of the inadvisability of running 0 miles one week and 60 the next. I do take your meaning, that it would be inconvenient to recalculate TDEE every week based on expected mileage, but in general, when one is not training for a marathon or similar, there's not as much variation as you're trying to suggest.

Both TDEE and NEAT are valid, and I hadn't considered that OP might be trying to use MFP in that manner. She's got an open food diary, though - and the discrepancy between her goal and her Fitbit number suggests that either way, she's not fueling appropriately.

I don't know if anyone is talking about 0 one week and 60 the next, but as a long distance runner, I've had weeks where I've done 40 one week and 50 the next and that's significant enough *for me*, that I prefer to use NEAT. Other people in the same circumstance may be comfortable with TDEE, but NEAT is my preference. It also prevents me from having to recalculate my TDEE when I'm in heavier training periods. In January and February, I may be averaging 30 miles a week. In July and August, it can be more like 60 or 70.

Both are valid ways to get to the same point, it's just individual preferences and circumstances.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options

I wasn’t implying that the 0 and 60 would be adjacent weeks. Only attempting to illustrate to a combative & belligerent poster (not you) the reasons that method may not be preferred for me (or others like me that may have varying activity levels). It seemed subtly wasn’t the way the go with that.

Both methods are indeed valid and one should choose to use whatever works best for them.

And whichever method-one should always be fueling their activity level.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

I 100% agree with your overall point, and knowing the true diary data does give a clearer picture.

This is just a side remark about TDEE vs. NEAT as a basis, as a practical matter. (And I expect it's something you already understand, but I'm commenting for general background on the question. :flowerforyou: )

As not-a-big-person (I'm 5'5", 130s), a common day's exercise is often around 15% of my total calorie expenditure. In season, my main sport is weather-dependent (I'm a rower; certain conditions create actual danger). I know how many days I plan to row, but in season I'll often skip days to get other stuff done, rather than change exercise modes. Losing a couple of days of exercise is meaningful, in maintenance (close to 5% of TDEE when averaged over the week).

For a smaller person, it doesn't necessarily take huge variations in exercise (i.e., doesn't take that 0 miles vs. 60 extreme) to make enough difference that NEAT + exercise can be a more practical fit than TDEE, for some people. Very individual choice! :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options

I don't know if anyone is talking about 0 one week and 60 the next, but as a long distance runner, I've had weeks where I've done 40 one week and 50 the next and that's significant enough *for me*, that I prefer to use NEAT. Other people in the same circumstance may be comfortable with TDEE, but NEAT is my preference. It also prevents me from having to recalculate my TDEE when I'm in heavier training periods. In January and February, I may be averaging 30 miles a week. In July and August, it can be more like 60 or 70.

Both are valid ways to get to the same point, it's just individual preferences and circumstances.

This is me too. A 10 mile (or a bit more) change isn’t at all unusual (even when not at peak marathon training mileage) since cutback weeks are a normal thing. And that works out to a significant amount (calorie wise) for me as well. So I also prefer NEAT.

But that isn’t intended to imply TDEE isn’t a good way to go. It’s fine for people that prefer it.