38kg (6 stone) lost

timhiley
timhiley Posts: 5 Member
As of today I have just hit the 38kg, (6 stone or 84lb) weight loss mark since September 2019 and my Type 2 diabetes diagnosis. I have consistently lost about one stone a month. This has been through increased exercise (Now briskly walk 6-8km a day, 6 days a week) and a reduced calorie diet of about 1300 calories a day made up of no more than about 100g of carbs and 'religiously' logging and monitoring on MFP (calories and Macros). I did have a relatively relaxed Christmas and have just had a week in Amsterdam were the Stroopwafel and Apple pie were just to compelling! So I have allowed myself to have some fun along the way!

It was interesting that two friends this weekend have both been very complimentary about my weight loss but both have said 'I should stop now because I am getting too thin.' I know they mean well but I find it interesting how people have these perceptions of you and your 'size' and make bad value judgements based on them. Having gone from 130kg - 92kg (20.5 to 14.5 stone) I am still in the Obese range (BMI 31.9) and I still have something in the region of 20kg to lose to reach the top end of a 'healthy' weight. My next target is to be 'Overweight' by Easter! I am now fitter and lighter than I have been for very many years and hope that I am adding significantly to the quality (and hopefully longevity) of my later life. It seems strange that some people find this change hard to cope with.

Don't really know why I am posting this other than to perhaps encourage people who are losing to keep going and to accept the compliments if and when they come along. BUT do not to be put off or swayed by the comments about being too thin or needing to 'stop now.' when you have your healthy goal in mind and to keep on patiently explaining to friends and colleagues to except what is going to be, 'the new normal.'

Replies

• FitterFifteen
    FitterFifteen Posts: 75 Member
    Congratulations dude, you’ve made great progress!
  • scottshc
    scottshc Posts: 1 Member
    That's an incredible effort and very inspiring, well done sir.

I totally agree, being a healthier wieght and a weight you are comfortable at is much more important than worrying about what other people think is "too skinny".

• liveyenna
    liveyenna Posts: 104 Member
    Great job! Congratulations!

As of the comments you've been receiving. The first time I lost a lot of weight in 2015, most people around me also told me to "stop" because I looked great. I also had to explain to them (mostly to my mother) that I was still overweight and still would try my best to keep losing until I was in the healthy range. You should listen to yourself and listen to your own body. When it will be good and you're happy with yourself and your level of fitness, then you'll know it's good to stop the calorie deficit. So good on you to be a bit stubborn and not letting the comments persuade you into losing your own track!
  • monikawalia06
    monikawalia06 Posts: 12 Member
    Just what I needed!
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Wonderful!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    I would encourage you to have your body fat percentage checked, too. My BMI has me in the 'overweight' category (28.3). But when I had my body fat percentage checked, I was at 17.4% bodyfat. Well within the healthy range for my gender and age.
  • JudyCoventry3883
    JudyCoventry3883 Posts: 8 Member
    Also, just the encouragement I needed today because I have recently been diagnosed pre-diabetic. But I struggle with an overeating disorder and every time I seem to get to the point where I am now for some reason I give up and go backwards and keep retreading the same 10 lb over and over again. This was just the piece of encouragement I needed to keep going! Thanks for sharing your testimony with us all.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    There is nothing better and more inspiring than reading your success story first thing in the morning! Well done!
  • tauntonmom
    tauntonmom Posts: 139 Member
    Doesn't MFP have a minimum of 1500 calories (more if you exercise) per day for men?
  • Treab123
    Treab123 Posts: 22 Member
    1200 for men.
  • leonardniblock
    leonardniblock Posts: 1 Member
    Well done, Tim. The "too thin" comment might be because you simply look so different compared to the version of you that they are used to. They might find it disconcerting. Your healthy weight is your healthy weight, and how they see you will alter as time goes by. Chubbiness can look healthy, but it isn't really, of course. And the thin version of that person, by comparison, might look like they are failing away. But again, this is not true if you are eating well.
  • adamjames1993
    adamjames1993 Posts: 4 Member
    Congratulations man, I too have dropped 6+ stone but it has taken me closer to 9 months of daily walking and calorie counting. I also regularly hear that I should stop and I have lost enough, especially from my mum haha. I am also still not in the healthy BMI range, I’m 6 1 tall and weigh 13st 9lb currently, so not far now, ideally I’d like to finish at 13 stone and maintain, but I find my weight loss has dramatically slowed down now I’m getting closer to my goal, I normally lose less than 1 pound a week, but hey, at least it’s consistent loss. I have my dog, Luna, to thank for my weight loss, as getting her in early 2019 was the reason I started walking regularly. d722p0wiy3ax.jpeg
    Anyway good luck with the rest of your weight loss journey!
  • timhiley
    timhiley Posts: 5 Member
    Also, just the encouragement I needed today because I have recently been diagnosed pre-diabetic. But I struggle with an overeating disorder and every time I seem to get to the point where I am now for some reason I give up and go backwards and keep retreading the same 10 lb over and over again. This was just the piece of encouragement I needed to keep going! Thanks for sharing your testimony with us all.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Keep going Judy. Again hopefully as an encouragement when I was diagnosed as Diabetic in September 2019 my HBA1C level was 77 or 9.2% firmly in the Type 2 diabetic range. When I was tested at the beginning of February 2020 it had come down to 34 or 5.3% well below my target of 48 (6.5%) and comfortably into the normal range. So while I realise everyone's diagnosis is slightly different it is possible to have a huge impact on blood sugar levels through diet and exercise. Keep going.
  • cherrylou123
    cherrylou123 Posts: 96 Member
    Congratulations for making a permanent lifestyle change 😊😊😊.. Keep doing it and keep inspiring others 😍😍😍
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!