Pre diabetes book recommendations

Options
belleFL
belleFL Posts: 29 Member
Hello. Looking for pre diabetes food list and book recommendations please. Thank you.

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to remember a book that I thought was very helpful. I "think" this is it: "Type 2 Diabetes for Beginners" by Phyllis Barrier.

I like the web site https://www.diabetesdaily.com

Hope this helps!

• marynb67
    marynb67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like The PreDiabetes Diet Plan by Hillary Wright. The information is sound and the menu plans are practical. My mother is quite elderly and has been diabetic for many years, but struggled with balancing her diet. This helped me to help her, and her numbers have really stabilized.
  • brettrobb
    brettrobb Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I have been pre diabetic and when I eat Keto my blood sugar is excellent - I recommend the book Keto Clarity. Bless you on your journey!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I’m a type 2 diabetic who has gotten my a1c consistently under 5 using primarily diet and exercise.

Using MyFitnessPal to limit the carbs you eat each meal is better than a list of foods - there are very few foods you can or cannot eat, within reason, but you may have to control portion sizes. The most important thing you can do for yourself right now is to lose weight, which will increase your insulin sensitivity and hopefully prevent you from progressing to diabetes. The second most important thing is to exercise daily, including cardio and strength training.

If you really want a meal plan, aim for no more than about 45g net carbs (total carbs minus fiber, which is indigestible), which is the ADA recommendation. Start by logging whatever you would normally eat, then substitute or subtract high carb items until you learn how much you can eat. And don’t forget to weigh everything until you learn what an official “portion” looks like!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,630 Member
    Options
    The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Bernstein was recommended by a lot of people here. I more whole-food plant-based one is Dr. Barnard's.