How Much Sugar?

Options
How many sugar grams is a person supposed to get every day?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about added sugar or total?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    jsann wrote: »
    How many sugar grams is a person supposed to get every day?

Zero to a moderate amount. It is not a requirement to get sugar each day. It is also not a concern unless you have a medical condition that is directly affected by the intake of sugar like insulin resistance.

Sugar also comes in many forms. There is the sugar in fruit. There is the sugar you might add to your coffee. Limiting the sugar in fruit would not make sense unless you have a medical condition or you eat so much of it that it crowds out other nutrition.
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t matter as long as you stay within your calorie goal. I never even worry about the sugars in fruit, no sugar added dairy products, etc. However, I have found that with limited calories the added sugar in treats sometimes costs me more than it is worth. It is really up to you and what you find satisfying.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    There's no credible limit on intrinsic sugar (the sugar in veg, fruit, dairy, and many other whole foods). My view is not so much that you crowd out protein or healthy fats and make sure to get plenty of veg and fiber, not just fruit.

For added sugar, the WHO (and others) recommend no more than 10% of total cals, with less than 5% most days being even better. MFP can't track added sugar yet so has a limit of 15%, but if you are hitting or exceeding that mostly from intrinsic sugar from fruit and veg and getting sufficient protein, fiber, and healthy fats (from avocado, fatty fish, nuts and seeds, and olives, etc.), no reason to worry about it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Eating less calories than your body burns=weight loss. As long as you are meeting proper nutrition goals, with no health issues related to food/drink consumption, and in a calorie deficit, how you spend your calories is up to you for weight loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, depends on what the person is doing.

650g of carbs on a day I cycled 200k was just about right and a lot of that came from glucose and fructose (I don't track sugar as it's just a subset of carbs and I have no need to track it twice).
    However, 650g would be far too much for me on a normal day.

What are you hoping to gain from tracking your sugar OP?