Tuna salad tips

DyneSalcar
DyneSalcar Posts: 45 Member
Tuna is easy, delicious, high in protein, and a great way to get Omega 3 for those who don't enjoy the 'fishier' fishes. But to get that classic creamy tuna salad it takes a LOT of mayo.

What are your favorite tricks for making a lighter (or not so light but delicious) tuna?

I've found balsamic vinegar or hot sauce mixed with tuna can make a good green salad topper. Another idea I recently read about is using pureed hard-boiled eggs as a creamy substitute. I'm going to try that today and get back to y'all 😅

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I prepare a jar of curry (spices, tomato, coconut milk etc.) let it cool down and keep it in the fridge. If some food needs some extra spices, I just add a spoon or three. I also grow lots of different herbs - add a bit of garlic / ginger / lemon grass / chili / etc. and Bob is your uncle.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    My favourite tuna salade is Nicoise.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/saladenicoise_6572
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I freaking love my tuna salad and I make it a couple times a week. I can't get used to not using mayo. I use the Duke's Light Olive Oil Mayo, which still has the mayo taste, but has about half the calories.

I will try some of these suggestions. Thanks for the post!
  • DyneSalcar
    DyneSalcar Posts: 45 Member
    @just_Tomek thanks so much! I tried the egg alone today and didn't work well at all. I am definitely trying it with the cottage cheese!

@MaltedTea that sounds delicious! I love avocado!

@midlomel1971 sometimes you just can't replace mayo! It makes everything so delicious!

Thank you everyone for the ideas! I'll share anymore I come across as well!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I cut down the mayo by using lots of mustard in it instead. There's *some* mayo but much less than it would otherwise be. Hot sauce is also good if you are into that.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I still use it, but just less. Dried dill, chopped onion & celery, dill pickle relish, mayo & tuna. I use the water packed, low sodium, tuna pouches and calorie count comes in at 100 calories. Very doable for me.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    I love tuna with a bit of Lee Kum Kee oriental dressing for a change (I'm sure you could make your own similar dressing using soy, rice vinegar, garlic, chilli and sesame oil)
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Not traditional at all, but I like using some bottled, zesty Italian dressing in place of the mayo. You only need a tablespoon or two, so the calorie count is kept in check and it tastes great.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Either less mayo, lower calorie mayo, or substitute some of it for greek yogurt?? I also add dijon mustard or spicy mustard and that lets me cut down on the mayo
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I tried different subs for mayo, didn’t like any of them. Tried it without mayo or any sub. It’s ok. I can eat it.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2020
    I use light mayo, a little bit of light ranch or fat free ranch sometimes, and a little bit of mustard.
    My tuna salads also usually consist of either peas, or chopped cucumber and dill :) Often I'll throw some diced onion in, too
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Mayo, Yogurt sometimes pickle juice. I like to chop up pickles in my tuna salad so it makes sense.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I still use it, but just less. Dried dill, chopped onion & celery, dill pickle relish, mayo & tuna. I use the water packed, low sodium, tuna pouches and calorie count comes in at 100 calories. Very doable for me.

I make mine like this except without the onion and I use sweet relish and a bit of mustard. I could eat it every day.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My husband's tuna salad has just a tiny bit of mayo, quite a bit of Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning, onion or green onion & sometimes slivered almonds. It's so good, especially in a panini.

I make mine with tuna, chopped boiled egg, light mayo, mustard & sometimes curry powder. My favorite way to eat it is on an open-faced sandwich (toast) with cheddar or colby jack shreds melted on top. Not low cal, but very yummy & satisfying for lunch.