BMI and picking a goal weight

Options
2»

Replies

• threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    How I look in a full length mirror is how I chose my goal weight.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    So, if your BMI is anywhere between 18.5-24.9, you will be w/in healthy weight range and itcwon't matter, at least in terms of your wt related heslth risks what your goal wt is, as long as it is w/in that range.

Unfortunately this isn't always the case, I have some health issues at BMI 24.9 which disappear at lower numbers.
  • MomLarisa
    MomLarisa Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    At a 21, you are already right in the middle. I'm assuming your post means you are still not happy with where you are? How strict do you have to be with your eating and exercise to maintain your current weight? In other words, how much of a struggle would it be to stay at a deficit for another 6 months to a year, and would it be worth it to you?
    Another option is a recomp, check out these posts:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Thank you so much for sharing these links. They're super helpful. I'm pretty happy where I am. I would just like to look a bit leaner, no more pooch and gain some upper body strength. Re comp sounds like my path. Deficit for another 6 months sounds fine too. But I feel like I'd want to maintain after that for a while to see how I feel, reassess and kind of give my body time to normalize to the new weight.

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Anything in the healthy range is good. I prefer to be in btw 20 & 21 BMI. That's when and look and feel my best. My clothes look good and I have energy.
  • naj1991
    naj1991 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    my goal weight puts me in the overweight category. goal is 5'4 147lbs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    MomLarisa wrote: »
    I'm just curious others thoughts on selecting a goal weight. If you're overweight it seems reasonable to just get it into the "healthy" range. That seems self explanatory. But for those of you already under 24, what is your goal? Bottom end of the range, whatever feels/looks good to you, something else? Perhaps I shouldn't be so focused on what the scale actually says, but I'm not sure what else to go by.

Just to note, I'm already in the healthy range at 21.

BMI is a screening tool and not a definitive indicator of poor health or risk.

Example at age 50, 6'3", 247lbs, I would be considered overweight BMI(31) This is because my above average LBM is not factored into the calculation. That being factored in, I am considered normal weight.

Another screening tool that might be coupled with BMI is waist circumference. Which reams scientific evidence.

If you are not Asian, females and males with a waist circumference over 37" and 40" are considered higher risk for chronic disease and shorter life span. This is where we might generally prioritize weight loss.

You might chose to implement this screening tool as well to help guide you in your decision.

To get a accurate measurement we feel for the bony prominences on the front of your hip and find the highest one, theanterior superior iliac spine (ASIS). Measure the circumference on top of ASIS without compressing the skin.

Hope this helps you in some way.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    So, if your BMI is anywhere between 18.5-24.9, you will be w/in healthy weight range and itcwon't matter, at least in terms of your wt related heslth risks what your goal wt is, as long as it is w/in that range.

Unfortunately this isn't always the case, I have some health issues at BMI 24.9 which disappear at lower numbers.

Asians tend to consider the upper limit for BMI at 23, above is starting the overweight range. I also think that 25 is too high.

body-size-and-composition1-7-728.jpg?cb=1287300384
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,632 Member
    Options
    @saintor1 what is the source of your info-graphic?

The Asian numbers seem to be broadly correct (normal BMI being 18.5 to 23, 23 to 25 being overweight, 25+ being obese)

However I take issue with the low risk designation for underweight as actual risk at that level is probably more similar to that of obesity as opposed to the lower health risk levels that apply to the overweight and normal weight categories.
  • thatberrychick1
    thatberrychick1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is between 165-175 I think the way my frame is made that will be good for me but more importantly I just wanna be healthy