Recovering from Eating Disorder

Options
Hello! My name is Eian and in 2017-2019 I suffered from atypical anorexia nervosa. After my entire life being bullies for being fat and experiencing a traumatic event before summer of 2017 I made the decision to only eat 500 calories or less every day. I ended up going from 165lbs to 115lbs in the span of 6 months, 30 of that being lost in just one month.

I made the decision to recover in February of 2019, and since then I have gained nearly 200 pounds. I need to lose weight for a surgery this summer but I don't want to be sucked back into that same negative mindset as before.

Is anyone else in a situation like this or has been in a situation like this before? I'd love some support or advice on how best to approach this situation. Thank you very much for any help!

(I hope i'm posting this in the right board, i'm new)

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I would suggest working with your treatment team to develop a plan that is right for you.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Are you working with your treatment team? I had an ED in my teens and now I’m 26 so no longer with them so it would be nice to talk about my ED. I started of with anorexia and I didn’t know about counting calories since I was only 11-13 yrs old but I essentially starved myself. I then developed bulimia at age 15 and that’s when I got help. I ‘recovered’ and always struggled with my weight by yo-yo dieting with my lowest being 119 lbs and my highest at 185 lbs. I’m currently 156lbs and my body just doesn’t want to move from this weight. It’s frustrating. I’m 5’ 4” so I need to be at 130 lbs. Anyway, from what I’ve realised is the ED never ends, you just learn to manage the demons and they still lurk around! Thankfully for me, counting calories/macros never triggered my ED so I never relapsed. In fact, funny enough I joined MFP in 2017 just to track my protein intake and I’m glad I did because I was low on protein.

I just want to caution that if counting calories will trigger your ED thoughts and actions then don’t do it. Again, discuss with your team! All the best!