Effects of weight loss on height?

Options
nasr25
nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
edited March 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone with considerable amount of weight seen an increase in height? I have about 80 pounds to lose and I know I was 5 11” a few years back and I am 5-10” I am only 27 so I know it can’t be age. Can weight gain cause you to shrink in height?

Replies

• DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Considering that some of our height's via cartilage, yeah because it's squishy.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I suspect it's not so much shrinking as it is affecting your posture.

Hear, hear {just found that "Great call", might also be used as criticism & thus I am editing, my post}!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I gained an inch after losing 80 pounds, but I believe it has more to do with me having much better posture from carrying much less weight in my chest and core areas.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I find this conversation very interesting. I was measured recently (I've lost 96 pounds) and I was half an inch taller. Since I'm 63 I was shocked to say the least. I fully expected to be shorter not taller. I think I would have to vote for posture too. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    In addition remember that the time of day effects your height. You will be shorter in the evening than in the morning because gravity compresses you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Re age, I'm 53 and am the exact same height I was when I was 18. I attribute that to yoga.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Losing 130 lb and aging 7 years in the process...but my height's the same.

One thing I've noticed though is due to WAY less fat on my butt and hips, I sit so much lower in chairs and especially in my car.
  • WorkMyGoals
    WorkMyGoals Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    It could absolutely be from weight gain or if you are now carrying heavy things, ie child.

My son is a 22 Marine sometimes rucking/hiking with over 100 pounds of equipment and his weapon on his back. He’s been in for just under 4 years and has already lost almost an inch of height from constantly carrying an extra 100+ pounds.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I gained 3cm (just over an inch)... Maybe.

I was 160cm for years. Lost about 44lb and got measured again, gained 3cm.

But no guarantee thats not just due to different method of measuring.