Help :(

Hi all,

I have been the same weight since I was 18 years old 10 stone 11 take away a lb or 2 but never over but always been consistent weight I have always been an ectomorph tall and skinny and boney.

Since January I have increased my calories to 3000 and odd in accordance to weight gain calculators and my activity levels to gain a lb a week.

My previous food has been junk food pizza, pasty's the usual supermarket crap but now I am eating porridge oats, whole milk various meats and salmon, protein shakes, vegetables, eggs, sweet potatoes the odd bit of peanut butter etc.

but with no noticeable change so I have upped my calories to 3500 and after 6 days on the scales I weigh an all time low 10 stone 6 never seen my weight that low before in my adult life and I have broken out in bad spots on my face mainly around my mouth.

I am trying to gain weight and be healthier but it seems to be the opposite it has made me worse,
I am happy that i am reaching my calorie target and working it out correctly.

I am constantly going over slightly on my protein, and fats not by massive amounts but I am only reaching between 20% and 30% of my 50% recommended carbs could this be causing keto like effects or some thing.

why am I loosing weight eating more food daily than I ever have by a long shot on a day to day basis and whilst hitting my calorie target some times going over slightly by 100cals or so?

any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    A 5 lb loss over 2 months really shouldn't affect your health in and of itself, for many of us our natural weight fluctuations involve going up and down by 5 lbs.

Are you logging accurately and consistently?
    What is your age, height, weight, activity level? Do you exercise?
    Have you gotten a checkup recently?
  • mvwales
    mvwales Posts: 4 Member
    I'm am 31 years old 5ft 11, I am sure I'm logging accurately and I am exercising not extreme exercise just 3 sets of sit ups 25, press up 3x 10 sets alternating between normal and wide arm , 15 shoulder shrugs x3 and 3x 15 squats.

I have had a check up recently all came back as ok just had a vitamin d deficiency which I'm now on to vitamin d tablets twice a day.

• mvwales
    mvwales Posts: 4 Member
    I have consistently been 10 stone 10 - 10.11 every time I have been on the scales since I was 18 without fail i have been that weight
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    You can gain weight eating a keto diet. It is always about calories.

There is a possibility that the increase in calories is causing an increase in activity on your part. From what I have read some people are more reactive to calorie changes. In a deficit their NEAT falls lower than expected and in a surplus it goes up. These are self-reported situations so who knows how accurate they are.

If there is a chance it is true... What percentage of your calories do you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? How early do you eat dinner? I ask because you might want to stack more of your calories for the end of the day if that is possible.

Do you have an activity tracker?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you are not gaining over time, you are not eating enough. Could be you are more active as a result of the increased intake, also calorie calculators are only as estimate so you may need a higher number to gain. Believe me I understand it's frustrating. Adding a high calorie smoothie each day can get your cals up, make sure you keep up with it no matter what. And as mentioned accurate and consistent tracking using a food scale can really help reach those numbers.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    You have to be consistent. I used to be very slender too and thought the same things as you. I'd tell people I'd eat 5K a day and although that was true some days there were others where I'd barely eat at all. The hard part for me when I decided I wanted to gain was to learn how to be consistent day in day out. Also, like others have mentioned the calculators could be off and from the sounds of it many of the things you are currently eating aren't nearly as calorie dense as the stuff you used to eat. You may be overestimating the caloric content quite a bit and being thrown off by the increased volume of food.
  • SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    Best advice I can give you is to see a nutritionist/dietitian for better direction and accuracy. Any comments here will probably confuse you more. Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    <shrug> I think the posts so far have been very clear and consistent.

OP, maybe if you make your diary temporarily public, fresh eyes might be able to see any logging issues and what kind of exercise calories might be involved.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    If you don't have health problems then the only solution is to eat more calories. Maybe this will help:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    mvwales wrote: »
    I'm am 31 years old 5ft 11, I am sure I'm logging accurately and I am exercising not extreme exercise just 3 sets of sit ups 25, press up 3x 10 sets alternating between normal and wide arm , 15 shoulder shrugs x3 and 3x 15 squats.

I have had a check up recently all came back as ok just had a vitamin d deficiency which I'm now on to vitamin d tablets twice a day.
    Perhaps a better training protocol would be more suitable for achieving your goals. I would suggest something that incorporates barbell squat, bench, press and deadlift with an appropriate progressive overload scheme...