Garmin Connect “Training Effect”

Options
Hoping some fellow Garmin users can enlighten me...

Last night my friend showed me that in her Activity details in the Garmin Connect App, she had two circles in the “Training Effect” section of the activity analysis. One for Aerobic and one for Anaerobic. I have only ever had one for Aerobic. I do a lot more training and at a higher intensity than she does and she even saw a rating for Anaerobic during Walk activities.

Does anyone know why she would get these two side by side whereas I only see one? We both use the same App at the same software issue on Apple devices.

I have a 735xt, she has a Forerunner with music I think.
Thanks folks!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I have neither of these training effect stats in my app. I would think it's because you have a different device and nothing to do with the app itself.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    I do a lot more training and at a higher intensity than she does and she even saw a rating for Anaerobic during Walk activities.

Unless she's race walking (or doing high intensity run intervals) I'm surprised that she's be getting anything for anaerobic as it's heart rate based....

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner935/EN-US/GUID-7275629E-743A-4658-A284-C84F42A66AE5.html
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Is she by any chance substantially less fit than you are, thus hitting higher heart rate at less objectively intense exercise? Or possible that one of you has a statistically unusual HRmax?

(Yeah, I know that second question's hard to answer, but you might compare some similar activity you both do, and see if there HR ranges are materially different).
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Not all Garmin watches feature both the aerobic and anaerobic training effect. Having them split is fairly new (the last couple/few years - I think the Fenix 5/935 were the first models to split them). Prior to that if Garmin connect displayed a training effect for the activity (recorded on a watch that has training effect as a feature), it was the aerobic one (like you’re seeing).

So your watch doesn’t split between the two and hers does.

These are all provided by FirstBeat and you can go to their website and look up all the various estimates/calculations they have and see which watch brands/models have those specific features.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Not all Garmin watches feature both the aerobic and anaerobic training effect. Having them split is fairly new (the last couple/few years - I think the Fenix 5/935 were the first models to split them). Prior to that if Garmin connect displayed a training effect for the activity (recorded on a watch that has training effect as a feature), it was the aerobic one (like you’re seeing).

So your watch doesn’t split between the two and hers does.

These are all provided by FirstBeat and you can go to their website and look up all the various estimates/calculations they have and see which watch brands/models have those specific features.

Thanks so much, that explains it!

And yes, I am pretty confident she won’t be doing anything anaerobic during her walking but this 100% answers my question about why she sees two circles and I only see one.

:-D

MFP forum wins again.