Questions About Cutting, Particularly After Bulking

Options
I looked through the other thread "Anyone cutting after a bulk," and found some great info, but I have specific questions and the thread is too long.

Last year I bulked for 6 months. Add to that some holiday travel and holiday eating, I now need to lose about 16 lbs.

Since Jan 2, I've been eating 1200 calories, (with the exception of 3 "cheat" days and some exercise calories) and I've only lost 9 lbs to date. It normally doesn't take this long to lose 10 lbs (it's been 2 months).

Here are my questions:
1. Does it take longer to cut when coming off a bulk?
2. I've been eating more carbs lately but I thought that as long as I'm within my calories, it's okay. Is this true?
3. I've never had issues in the past when trying to lose 2 lbs per week. It wasn't until last year's bulk that I'm having issues. WHY?!?

I'm so frustrated about this and it's so discouraging. Please feel free to look at my diary.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by does it take longer, do you mean after gaining vs bulking? Weight loss is as fast or slow as your deficit will allow, however it can become more difficult the leaner you get, also someone who wants to keep as much muscle as possible shouldn't lose too fast (typical recommendation is no more than 1% bodyweight per week, but for the most part there is quite a bit of flexibility here provided it is quick and someone is training properly and getting adequate protein).

Carbs are fine as long as they aren't crowding out your protein, fat or other nutrients, or it causes extreme hunger or cravings making weight loss extra difficult.

2lbs per week is pretty fast depends on your stats, especially coming right off a bulk with not too much to lose. I would definitely slow the weight loss down or you might struggle with hunger, binges, poor workout performance and as a result increased muscle loss. If you do want to go fast there are different protocols to follow but that depends on your experience level too. If you still aren't losing according to plan, make sure you are tracking your intake, using a food scale, being as consistent as possible. Might need to dial in those cheat days depending on what /how much you are eating.