Bariatric Surgery 03/04/2020

Options
On the above time and date, I had Bariatric Surgery . I currently weigh 337 lbs and am semi-retired from OPERS-Ohio and currently 60 years old. Previously I had foot reconstruction, anxiety disorder, hemmordectomy, 5 abdominal hernias and 2 heart procedures. I need any and all support that you may be able to give. This old veteran must move forward and completely change his lifestyle. Can you help?

Replies

• fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    On the above time and date, I had Bariatric Surgery . I currently weigh 337 lbs and am semi-retired from OPERS-Ohio and currently 60 years old. Previously I had foot reconstruction, anxiety disorder, hemmordectomy, 5 abdominal hernias and 2 heart procedures. I need any and all support that you may be able to give. This old veteran must move forward and completely change his lifestyle. Can you help?

I am five years out. Anything I can do to support you let me know. I am sending you a friend request.

I am a member of a private bariatric support group. I want to encourage you to join. Video conferencing support group on Thursdays and Sundays in the evening. I hope to see you there. Info to join below.

Register: https://www.facebook.com/bariatricaccoutabuilityclub/

The group uses zoom video conferencing Free Download ZOOM – to participate in support groups https://zoom.us/signin

• Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Had gastric bypass 6 years ago went from 310 down to 215 ( then had a baby). Its rough at first, but just keep pushing. You may experience a little weight gain about 18mos - 2 years after, which is normal. Don't let it get you down, keep with it. This app helps alot with letting you know how you are doing nutrition wise. I have actually inspired several family members to get healthier and or also get batriac surgery, maybe you can inspire too.
  • mrsbuckeye1
    mrsbuckeye1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the "sleeve" done on 5/1/19 and right now I'm down 60 lbs - 3 weeks ago I had a hernia operation so now I don't at least look 24 months pregnant !! OH - I'm in Ohio !!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I think there are groups here for that. didn't your dr recommend an in person support group too?
  • darlin930
    darlin930 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I had VSG on 6/15/20. I am in Tennessee. I am down 91 pounds from my highest weight. I am down 55 pounds since initially seeing the surgeon in December and 41 pounds since surgery. I would love to build a support system so please feel free to add me.
  • pattibirk
    pattibirk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting the surgery done. How long was the process from when you initially meet with the doctor until surgery day?
  • sophipattersonx
    sophipattersonx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I’ve just had RNY gastric bypass on 31/07/20, I’d love to connect with other bariatric patients if anybody would like to add me.
  • darlin930
    darlin930 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    pattibirk wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting the surgery done. How long was the process from when you initially meet with the doctor until surgery day?

A lot of that depends on your insurance and the surgeon. Find a reputable surgeon, go to the initial seminar or consultation and ask as many questions as you can think of. Good luck with this journey!!
  • mhadams2668
    mhadams2668 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about Bariatric Surgery. I am little nervous though. Seems so extreme. I am afraid of the side affects and complications and that my quality of life will be compromised.