Wait...Weight? Me?

Options
2»

Replies

• loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    At 51 I'm a fan of isolation lifting. I work one- two body parts at a time 4 x week. Its what works for the time I have to spend lifting and I am seeing results. Today was back and biceps, tomorrow legs (squats are essential no matter how you go about this)this gets its own day and no cardio to follow up, chest and triceps go together and shoulders is a short and sweet workout. I do 20-25 mins tops of intervals including incline (to maximize the burn in the least amount of time) on the treadmill, after workouts and on off days with one total rest day. If you can find a workout partner that might make it more fun and help you stick to it. I have a well equiped home gym and a husband who likes to keep tabs on my progress lol and cheer me on.

The internet has lots of sggestions to offer. Youtube will show you how to use proper form ~ but choose as credible a video as you can ~if its me lol keep looking!

This works for me, I am brutal at following programs so I can change the routines I do up every 4 weeks in some way.with this approach.

nrolfw is a great read, love the book but couldn't see myself doing that program. But I do highly recommend looking into it.

Lifting is a great decision and no matter how you approach it good for you and best of luck.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I think if you are intimidated & unsure as to form, and TRULY don't have even a starting point, I'd get a couple sessions with a GOOD personal trainer. Explain exactly what you are looking for - someone to create a routine and show you how to use the weights/machines properly.

You'd probably need 2-3 sessions to get some of the fundamentals... then as you build some muscle & confidence, start researching the NROWL & Stronglifts programs.

Some gyms will even do this service for free - it doesn't hurt to ask.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read it says it's best to have a partner to keep an eye on form and for motivation.

This really depends on the kind of person you are. Do you need someone to go with you for motivation? If not then you can get form advise from videos online and books like New Rules (as others have mentioned). I work out alone and most of the women I see in the gym (really working out) are also alone. Weight training really is a solitary sport.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I will make 3 suggestions:
    Starting strength (even if you don't do this program it would be a good idea to get the book anyway, full of great info)
    Stronglifts 5x5 (similar to starting strength though less volume)
    New Rules of Lifting for Women (Book full of info)
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of the book "Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training." It goes into excruciating detail on form on 5 major lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and power clean), which, as a beginner, is all you need. I hear what you are saying about having a workout partner, but if you can learn from reading, you can have excellent form from this book.

Most "personal trainers" have absolutely no clue what they're doing. Mark Rippetoe, the author of Starting Strength, does run a program for certifying coaches, and you can find a list at http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/coaching but there aren't a lot of them, you may not be able to find one in your area. You'll have more luck along the coasts than in the midwest, assuming you're in the U.S. There are some international coaches as well.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The Body for Life book has a GREAT beginning weight program. Alternates arms/legs, with instructions for each exercise. I carried the book around the gym with me while I was doing it. I felt so good....come to think of it...I think I'm going to dust that book off again! Thanks!!! :)

I was warned that the way they teach some form in this book is less than ideal...just my two cents. :)
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    on my journey, i started with barbie weights.... lol light weights... however this didn't really get me anywhere. Start with free weights, and do low reps, high weight... if you have to throw it around (ie.. use momentum to get the weight up) then it's too heavy.. .if its too easy, move up in weight. it'll be good to push yourself. I've heard Stronglifts for women is good.. but i've never read it... i've just gone for it so to speak. good luck!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read it says it's best to have a partner to keep an eye on form and for motivation.

A partner is great for safety reasons but you should learn to motivate yourself and unless they are trained, what do they know about proper form?. Just make sure the rack you are using has safety bars and you should be fine.

ETA: This is a great group for info on weight training. I highly suggest you check them out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

Are you doing it at home or at a gym?

If you are at a gym, I would suggest inquiring if there is a trainer that you can book an appointment with that can show you proper form for some of the basics first. My gym offers 1 free session and the trainer corrected my form for each exercise. I have also gone back to her for 35$ for an hour every few months to get her to show me new exercises and correct form.

If you are doing it at home I would suggest reaching out to family or friends to see if any of them lift weights to see if any of them could help you with form. Also, mirrors are great. When I watch myself in the mirror I can see if I'm letting something slip and I can correct it immediately.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The Body for Life book has a GREAT beginning weight program. Alternates arms/legs, with instructions for each exercise. I carried the book around the gym with me while I was doing it. I felt so good....come to think of it...I think I'm going to dust that book off again! Thanks!!! :)

I was warned that the way they teach some form in this book is less than ideal...just my two cents. :)

I started with Body For Life. In retrospect, it was a very inefficient use of time to do this elaborate split routine as a complete beginner. But on the other hand, it was better than nothing and at least set me down the path of fitness.
  • benjicloverdale
    benjicloverdale Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You don't need a partner. You could buy a few training sessions from a trainer just to get started. Or, you could just watch the trainers training other people, and copy what they do, one machine or movement at a time. Or you could watch other people at the gym and try doing what they are doing. Don't be afraid to ask strangers for advice about how to use a machine, or do an exercise. Most people at the gym are pretty friendly and willing to help.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I think if you are intimidated & unsure as to form, and TRULY don't have even a starting point, I'd get a couple sessions with a GOOD personal trainer. Explain exactly what you are looking for - someone to create a routine and show you how to use the weights/machines properly.

You'd probably need 2-3 sessions to get some of the fundamentals... then as you build some muscle & confidence, start researching the NROWL & Stronglifts programs.

Some gyms will even do this service for free - it doesn't hurt to ask.

This! Exactly what I did. I started on the machines but felt they were restricting movement and moved to free weights. Booked 3 sessions with a lady trainer over a period of 6 weeks. Started at around 5-6 Kg with dumbells and now up to 9-10Kg. Barbell from 10KG to 20Kg. This is still not a lot compared to some of the women on here but I am doing it slowly to avoid injury. I have really noticed the difference in my arms and legs and also do the AMT for around 20 minutes to get some cardio in plus some rowing. I feel so much better than previously and am looking forward to going up on the weights. If you can, do get a trainer to help you with form, particularly with the deadlifts. Good luck!
  • akillilea0812
    Options
    First is form. Pin machines are one of the best things you can do, because they force you to practice good form. Most gyms will offer a free orientation to the weight room or a free personal training consultation in which you can ask for some instructions on how to get started.

Second, create a schedule for yourself. Split your days up between upper body, lower body, and core. You can definitely combine your strength days with your cardio days, but absolutely do you strength training first. Wearing yourself out with cardio will pretty much guarantee you will sacrifice form in your strength routine.

Hope this helps, if you want to chat more or have other questions add me as a friend! :)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    See if you can get a few sessions with a trainer at your gym. They could help you set up a program and show you how to lift weights/use the machines properly!