Sedentary vs Lightly Active Question

Options
I would normally classify myself as sedentary but as of today I will be watching my 2 great nephews ages 6 weeks and 2 years old. I think I may need to change my lifestyle to lightly active but am not sure. I will still be able to be sitting much of the time but I'll also be wrangling an active toddler and carrying a baby part of the time. I'll be fixing meals and bottles for them and changing diapers too. Is that enough activity to justify changing to lightly active from sedentary?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Counting every single activity that you do, do you spend less than an hour a day on your feet?

How closely does your weight trend change match your caloric balance tracking when you consider time spans that equal or exceed 4-6 weeks?

It doesn't sound very likely to me that someone with a newborn and a two year old can truly be sedentary!
  • charlottemilton
    charlottemilton Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    @PAV8888
    I changed to lightly active 3 weeks ago. The kids are home with their mother as schools have closed and I don't know if I will have them again this year unless schools reopen. We are now on "safer at home" orders or something like that terminology. Basically, it means no going out except for necessities. My husband is now also at home working but considered essential so he is at the office some. I have kept my calories lightly active and continue to lose but have spent much of the week painting on a ladder. I didn't think standing on a ladder was exercise but it is; keeping your balance while painting takes core muscles I didn't know I had. Over the last 3 weeks, I have lost 10 lbs. I don't think I could eat more than I am eating now as my doctor has given me guidelines due to some medical issues that require at least 6-9 servings of vegetables a day plus fruit. Those fill you up.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    Yup, they do fill you up... for a while. It's a pretty fast rate of loss. How much do you have to lose? Is your fresh veg and fruit timely availability guaranteed in the near future? By the time you start getting signals to start eating more... you will be getting *very strong* signals to do so..

keep the losses reasonable. You won't be all day on the ladder everyday, that's true. But peanut butter and ice cream or avocados (or their equivalents that you're allowed to eat) exist for a reason within the context of an otherwise healthy diet... and people on ladders are apparently neither sedentary nor lightly active! 😹 (You could always log a painting on a ladder exercise!!!)