Caloric Defecit vs. Health

Options
Hi guys

Maybe you can help me with this. Not sure if my question will make sense, but here it goes...

If you were in a situation wherein putting a healthy ingredient in something would push you over your daily calories, would you opt to leave that ingredient out, and forego its benefits, or would you say that the healthfulness outweighs the extra calories?

For example, I like to put a tbls of coconut oil in my smoothies or protein shakes, both for the extra flavor and the health benefits. If, on a given day, taking out the coconut oil will keep me under my calories, and leaving it in will push me slightly over, should I leave it out? Or is it good enough for you that it's worth keeping it in and going over? This is just one example, but I've been wondering what is best to do in a case like that. (For argument's sake, assume I have already eaten everything else for the day, or that I can't cut the calories anywhere else for any given reason).

Thoughts?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would make room for it in the rest of my diet if I wanted it. A tbsp of coconut oil is only 130 calories, you should be able to fit it in your calorie budget. If you can't, your budget is probably too low.

But, if we're only talking about 1 day, 130 cals over your budget isn't going to break the bank, I would have it, and then plan better from now on. If you know you want this shake every day, log it first at the beginning of the day and then you can work the rest of your calories around it
  • kitty0889
    Options
    Just my two cents, but I would leave the ingredient out if all you're shooting for is a daily calorie deficit. That said, as long as you'll be under your 3500 calorie deficit for the week and can accommodate it by reducing calories elsewhere, chuck it in! Coconut oil is lovely, I use it all the time. Never thought to put it in a smoothie but that's a good idea. :)
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Put it in if you want to. It can't be more than 150 calories for a rough tablespoon. Your deficit shouldn't be ruined by 150 calories, you'd still have a rough 2450 calorie deficit for the week, over .5 of a pound.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    IMO, your mindset should be your biggest concern in your health at the moment.

Going over your calories by such a measly amount won't stall or undo any of your progress - if you enjoy having something, have it if it means you're a few cals over - sanity is just as important in this as anything else.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    How much over are we talking? Like MoreBean13 said, if it's just 130 calories every now and again you're fine. IF it puts you over 30, then I wouldn't even bother with it.

Best thing you can do is plan ahead, log your food the night before...some people do it for the week...and then you know what you have to play with. You can make adjustments when and where needed, but for the most part, you can keep yourself on track.

OR...you can do a quick workout and burn enough to make it happen.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You can't look at the last thing you entered in your diary and single that item out as the thing that "put your over," and then rationalize it as "ok because it was healthy."

That said, I agree with everyone about nitpicking.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Even if you're over, you're still at a deficit. A Tbsp of coconut oil isn't going to put you in surplus...your calorie goal has a massive deficit from maintenance built in...going over my a few measly calories isn't a big deal.

That said, I agree with Chief_Rocka...you can't simply look at the last ingredient you entered in your diary and single that item out as the item that put you over. My advice would be to plan better in the future.
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do better and log my food for the day in the AM. This should hold me more accountable to the calories. If I want something that might not fit as planned then I need to exercise those calories off. I'm not perfect with it... it's a work in progress for sure.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I would make room for it in the rest of my diet if I wanted it. A tbsp of coconut oil is only 130 calories, you should be able to fit it in your calorie budget. If you can't, your budget is probably too low.

But, if we're only talking about 1 day, 130 cals over your budget isn't going to break the bank, I would have it, and then plan better from now on. If you know you want this shake every day, log it first at the beginning of the day and then you can work the rest of your calories around it

I agree with this.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    weight loss is also healthy :smile: (from overweight to "normal" range)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you eat over your TDEE you will gain weight, no matter how "healthy" the food you're eating is.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Going over your calories by such a measly amount won't stall or undo any of your progress - if you enjoy having something, have it if it means you're a few cals over - sanity is just as important in this as anything else.

Totally agree. Exceeding your daily calorie allowance now and then is not the end of the world, especially when it's by such a small amount. For one thing, you're eating at a deficit so even if you go over you are still under maintenance and will lose. It might help you mentally if you focus on your weekly deficit and not your daily one.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Going against the grain here. Rationalization is a slippery slope. Poor planning got you to that point; plan better next time. I am not saying I wouldn't go over every once in a while, just that I would not rationalize it as being okay. I definitely would not make a habit of it.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you eat over your TDEE you will gain weight, no matter how "healthy" the food you're eating is.

This. If you're consuming more than you're burning, you'll gain, it doesn't matter what the health benefits of the food are. I also agree with the person who said you can't rationalize going over by deciding it was the "healthy" item that did it, so it's ok.

If you're still creating a deficit, you'll lose, just a bit slower, so add it in if you want it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You don't get any bonus points for eating a food someone else says is "healthy."
  • MissYvette46
    MissYvette46 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Another way to look at it is to add a bit more exercise in to balance the caloric deficit. 130 calories is less than an hour's worth of leisurely walking (2.5 mph). More vigorous walking, running, stair climbing, or other cardiovascular exercise would balance out those few calories even faster.

If the health benefits are worth it to you. Make the adjustments you need to make either in your other food intake or by adding in extra exercise.

It is your body and your health. You get to decide what is your priority.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you want it that much just go ahead and take it, but plan better the next day and make room for it so you don't go over again. Something has got to give.

To put it in perspective, lack of coconut oil is not going to lead into malnutrition as long as you have a balanced diet. It's ok to go over once in a while, but you should not make a habit of justifying going over your limit just because your last meal is 'healthy'.
  • themightylewry
    Options

I agree with this, you need to keep your sanity, a couple of calories once in a while wont hurt the overall result and you're more likely to stay on track if you allow yourself to have what you want once in a while (within reason)
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys.

I'm an obsessive planner, and none of this has actually happened, but it's just something I think about in general. The coconut oil in the smoothie was just an example to explain better what I meant. I also used coconut oil as the example because I read somewhere that it promotes fat loss, so even though it is high in calories, it could potentially even itself out in the end?

I suppose I shouldn't have asked the question specifically as it applied to going over my calories, as it made it seem like I was "blaming" this one ingredient, when really I was speaking generally. So let's take that out of the equation. If I were to drink that smoothie every day (even staying within my calories), that would be 840 extra calories every week. So even if it wasn't putting me over, per se, it's still extra than what I would have if I left it out. The health benefits are there for leaving it in, but leaving it out would leave with me a bigger deficit.

Similarly (using coconut oil again as an example) often times I use it to cook with. One tbls of coconut oil is more calories than butter, but also potentially better for you. So which is the better choice?

In summary, I guess my overall question was, is it better to always try to stick with as low calories as possible, even if it means cutting something that's "good for you" or do the potential health benefits of an extra or different ingredient outweigh that. I think I got my answer, and that is, that it depends on what my more important goal is - losing weight more quickly, or overall health.

Since I don't have too terribly much to lose (I'm 5'1, around 137 lbs.), my bigger concern in the immediate is overall health, so I think I'll leave it in. ;-)

Thanks!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Sweet Jesus, I hope my sanity never boils down to having or not having a tablespoon of coconut oil ...

But yeah, if you're going to do this on a regular basis, plan for it. I'm going to stop short of telling you, "It's okay to do it every once in a while," because most people stop listening at "It's okay."